I need a lot of help

I need a lot of help

Author
Posted Wed 14 Mar 2018 5:41 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Oh Hi Mary
I didn't realize that you were online. You know ever since my trip was cancelled I feel like suffering jet lag. I have gone through so much, spent so much time on the phone. Not to mention the disappointment about not going on my trip to Ireland. All dressed up and no place to go, lol.

Your suggestion going in May sounds nice, but don't you think it would be very crowded. In fact, I was very surprised how hard was to find lodging in March when the weather was not the best.

Belfast, yes indeed. The lady at the Guest house I had reservation was extremely friendly as well. Regardless, on my next trip I'll try to get a non-stop to Europe then fly to Ireland. I'm not going to fly making a stop over in the East Coast of US. Not willing to take any chances
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 14 Mar 2018 5:54 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi Larry, 
there is always accommodation to be found. Some people hire a car and just find bed and breakfasts as they travel about the country. You will never be stuck. Our tourist offices are great at fixing people up. There are now air b and b and yurts and glamping as well.
You have to take a leap of faith. I would hate for you to miss out on our lovely island.
The month of May is really lovely here, it is daylight up to 10. 30 at night. The peak months are July August but even then there is plenty of accommodation. Dublin city is always busy but there are a lot more interesting places than Dublin. Have a think about it.
Mary.

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 14 Mar 2018 6:58 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Mary
No I haven't given up. However, I'm not sure it I'd rent a car as a solo traveler. It's rather expensive, albeit I have rented cars in my travels but now I feel differently about driving. I'm driving less and less now these days not because of any health restrictions. The traffic here its very bad. Consequently, I'm getting less immune to traffic these days.

As I said, I have rented cars while traveling, and I have done it both ways, ie, booking in advance or playing by ear as I drive alone. It sounds lovely the day in May. Here is similar during the summer it doesn't get dark until passed. We are further up not too far from Vancouver, Canada.

But I'm leaving my options open. Perhaps, if rent a car I would get the car outside of Dublin in order to deal with less traffic.
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 14 Mar 2018 7:08 PM
View Quick Profile
Yes Larry I understand about not car renting. It can be daunting especially driving on the other side of the road.
Trains and bus cover the whole country. 
There is also a lovely small tour company called Paddywagon Tours that do small groups in a 6 day tour of Ireland or a 3 day tour of Galway and Kerry. They also do  a two day tour of Northern Ireland, Belfast and Giants Causeway. they have a website paddywagontours.com
Whatever you decide. Good luck.
Mary.

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 14 Mar 2018 8:44 PM
View Quick Profile
Mary
I don't have an issue driving on the left side of the road. I drove all over Tasmania a  while back, and other countries as well. But I don't like to drive at night even at home. And if it's raining or snow, forget about it.

To be honest I don't care for tours. I feel too much restrictions. I'm more open to explorer on my own. I'm going to take a break about trip planning after what I've gone through but not too long.
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 15 Mar 2018 2:09 PM
View Quick Profile
Larry I am sorry your trip had to be cancelled , I hope you are able to receive all refunds .I have been following the weather forecast in Ireland and I think you may have dodged a bullet.Although I never let the weather stop me on my travels , I have been to Ireland in all months of the year and have experienced all forms of heat,cold, wind , rain and snow , it would have been pretty dismal for your first trip to Ireland to be All cold windy rain and snow for most of your trip. It is not usually this way but it is what is forecast and I think it would not have made for a enjoyable visit for you. I do hope at least you have experienced the warm welcome and kindness and helpfulness of the people.Also I think you have learned how to navigate the different sites and now know how easy it is to get along without a car using the rail and bus systems, as well as looking at the different accommodations.  I hope you will plan a new trip and do not worry about busy or crowded times as Ireland is very popular most of the year, the summer months are the most crowded with lots of festivals going on but if you want that time of the year for your trip planning early will alleviate any stress .  It has been my pleasure to have helped you along your way and please reach out in the future if you wish to , you have my contact information and I will gladly help all I can. Goodbye for now and happy travels to you
Elizabeth .  
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 15 Mar 2018 2:23 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hi Larry,

I am sorry to read that you had to cancel and the experience you had with some customer support.
But as Elizabeth mentioned and you as well, you did experience a part of the Irish way through the welcoming and friendliness of the people.

I am also glad that you did not lose your spirit and still planning to come and see us!

Traveling solo can be tricky in particular when it comes to the transport.
Know that you can always mix public transports, tours and solo drive! 
For example, you could use the public transport when traveling between cities, bus and train are regular and practical. When it comes to more isolated places or more significant area you would like to visit in a short period you could join a day tour or if none cover what you would want to visit you could rent a car or bike for a day.

All the option are there, and as you know, we are all happy to help you when it comes to planning and suggestion. 😊

Are you going to Celebrate Saint Patrick day from your hometown?
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 15 Mar 2018 5:16 PM
View Quick Profile
Elizabeth,

Are you kidding me about being intimidated by the weather. Picture this I traveled to Iceland during the first week of  January. I enjoyed it every second of it and saw the Northern Lights. My Ireland situation was different. As you know you live here in the US the weather in the NE Region had been hammered with storms after storms. Consequently, my first segment from Seattle to Boston was cancelled just the night before. Can you imagine? It was so bad that the airline place a Waiver to all travel agents to allow passengers to cancel w/o any penalties. But of course, Expedia didn't want to validate it.  It took me over 3 hours on the phone and multiple emails to get them to refund my $. I won't be feel safe until I see the $ in my credit card.

Remember that I don't live a very sunny region like Florida. I'm used to wet, cold and overcast weather. I usually travel in the Winter, of shoulder seasons. I hate crowds and seldom I go out of the country during the Summer months for the same reason. 

I'm surprised that I booked this flight with a layover in the East Coast. I usually fly non-stop to the continent or at least to Iceland in order to evade exactly what just happened to me. On my future trip to Ireland I think I'm going to rent a car from a town close to Dublin like Newbridge or Kildare.

Again, Elizabeth you have no idea how I appreciate how you put up with me during my planning. It can't believe it I booked this trip way back in November.  But I had no choice it would have been impossible and expensive trying to change the dates on all of my bookings. In fact, I'm having some issues with a hotel in Dublin at the moment.

Regards, and Happy Travels
Larry
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 15 Mar 2018 5:26 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Elodie,
No I haven't given up, but I had to walk away from the computer and take a break. I went shopping for a new bag for my next trip, lol.
Here in the US we celebrate St. Patrick's Day in full force almost like being back in Ireland. We have parties, parades and people dressed in green. A lot of the Pubs and restaurants cook Cabbage and Corn Beef, very festive.

I just finished talking to Irish Rail and managed to request full refund. Thanks goodness I booked all my trips as Flexible tickets. I got almost all my bookings cancelled with no penalties, with the exception one hotel in Dublin as mentioned on my previous posting. And another hotel in Dublin that I paid a non-refundable room, but I wrote making a plead to see if they would waved their policy and refund my money.

As I mentioned on my previous posting. My experience interacting with Irish people has been very positive, and enjoyed their good sense of humor on the telephone. People treated me like a local not an outsider that's a good indication what's to come while traveling in Ireland.  Besides how is the Fall during this time of year. Do you get the change of colors of the leaves during the Fall?

Thank you so much for all your support and assistance,

Best travels,

Larry