I’m heading to Dublin in June, any festivals I should watch for?

I’m heading to Dublin in June, any festivals I should watch for?

Author
Posted Thu 10 May 2018 11:52 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
The start of June is exam time in Ireland and, as every schoolchild knows, that’s when the sun really starts to shine… on this island ‘summer mode’ kicks in with the festival calendar in full swing! So here’s what’s happening in Dublin…  

Often considered to be the ‘grandopening’ of the summer festival season, the highly anticipated Forbidden Fruit Festival (June 2-4) is returning to the picturesque surroundings of the Royal Hospital Kilmainham. This coming together of quirky music, art, fashion and food has been a festival favourite for 7 years! Across six stages, you will be treated to an array of musical talent, not to mention the particularly popular comedy tent that’s a hit with festival-goers! 

If you’re a literary fan then Bloomsday Festival (June11-16) is a definite don’t miss. Named after Leopold Bloom, James Joyce’s protagonist in his novel Ulysses, the festival is a celebration of that one special walk around Dublin. From sophisticated afternoon tea at the James Joyce Centre to the much loved Bloomsday Bus tour of Dublin city, step back in time to early 20th century Dublin…   

Head out from the city to the quaint seaside town of Dalkey where you’ll find a collection of world-renowned public speakers, intellectuals, economists, authors, movie makers – you name it– coming together for the Dalkey Book Festival (June 14-17). For the 8th year running, this tiny town will be buzzing with life and creativity as these intimate events take place in the local cafés, shops, schools and pubs.   

Bursting with colour, Bloom In The Park (May 31-June 4) is one of Ireland’s largest garden events. Taking place in Dublin’s Phoenix Park, Bloom showcases the finest of Ireland’s green-fingered masters, with workshops, crafts and gardening, as well as daily fashion shows and mouthwatering dishes from the Food Village. 

Speaking of food, Taste of Dublin (June 14-17) means days of culinary indulgence! Located in the Iveagh Gardens in the heart of the city, this festival promises to be a hub of activity will some renowned Irish brands showcasing the best of their produce as well as flavours of Spain, Thailand and Korea to tempt the more adventurous palettes. Go on, treat yourself!  

Bull Island is a long stretch of land just off the north coastline of Dublin so it’s perfect for hosting the Dublin Kite Festival (June 10), including ‘make your own kite’ workshops and flight demonstrations…  

Have we missed any others? If any other community members would like to recommend a festival, please let us know! 

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/10-05-2018/4d45d3b2-a968-4e69-8d0d-0075.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 8 Feb 2024 9:33 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 2
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 8 Feb 2024 9:33 AM Visits: 2
If you have time, combine it with a trip over the border to Derry, which is hosting the brand new YES Festival, which is inspired by James Joyce's Molly Bloom and runs from 13-16 June. Loads of activities for people of all ages and interests, including turning Bloomsday (16 June) into Molly Bloomsday! Information on the website: The YES Festival
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 23 Feb 2024 11:13 AM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 12
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 22 Mar 2024 10:34 AM Visits: 269
As June kicks off, so does exam time in Ireland, coinciding with the start of summer festival season. The Forbidden Fruit Festival (June 2-4) marks the grand opening, set against the picturesque backdrop of the Royal Hospital Kilmainham. Now in its 7th year, the festival boasts a blend of music, art, fashion, and food across six stages. Don't miss out on the popular comedy tent, a hit with festival-goers!