Finding My McCaffrey Irish Family Lines.

Finding My McCaffrey Irish Family Lines.

Author
Posted Mon 14 May 2018 5:52 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi. I am new to the researching. This is what information I have found; My great grandfather according to his death certificate.
 John McCaffrey, Born Enniskillen,Fermanagh.
 Married Helen O'Hea in 1873, special licence, Balmain, Sydney, Australia.
His parents were Patrick and Rose ann( nee McGuire) McCaffrey. John was the eldest in family.
 Worked at a Hotel in Brisbane,QLD,Australia until he died at age 42 years.
 Buried at Toowong Cemetery, Brisbane,Australia.
 Trying to find about his parents and life plus about any other children they had as I have tried looking on the free sites and can't find.
Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions with finding my McCaffrey Irish Lines.
 Robyn :)
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 14 May 2018 11:30 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Robyn,

A good paper trail is essential when trying to trace family history and a Death certificate is perfect!

As he would have probably been born before 1864, the records would be held as church or parish records and all the surviving records have been sorted into county-based genealogical centres. The one for County Fermanagh would be Irish World who have information for counties Fermanagh and Tyrone.

Indeed Ballymccaffrey is an old townland in Aghalurcher, County Fermanagh so the name is popular with the area. Bally, is derived from the Gaelic phrase 'Baile na', meaning 'place of', so this may be a great place to start looking.

Hopefully, there will be further suggestions from our other members, and please let us know how you progress.

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 15 May 2018 4:34 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Thank you Martin for your suggestion. 
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 15 May 2018 8:25 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Robin: you might also consider creating a post on the Ireland Reaching Out message board. This website is open to anyone and is free to join. One of its aims is to reconnect the diaspora with their ancestral parish. There are a number of knowledgeable volunteers who can assist with you with your research and direct you to additional sources. The website is below www.irelandxo.com

The best of luck with your research.

Kind regards,

Janehttps://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/15-05-2018/93329396-66f6-4d2f-b7dc-a51.jpeg
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 16 May 2018 2:35 AM
View Quick Profile
Thank you Jane for your suggestion. Robyn :)
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 16 May 2018 9:59 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Robyn

Griffith's Valuation (http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation), published 1862 for Enniskillen parish, records 4 households in this parish headed by Patrick McCaffrey; presumably one of these heads of households is John's father. They were:

Patrick McCaffrey, householder on Belmore Street, Enniskillen
Patrick McCaffrey, farming 8 acres in townland of Drumgay
Patrick McCaffrey, farming 11 acres in townland of Stragole
Patrick McCaffrey, farming 12 acres in townland of Tullyullagh

The church registers for Enniskillen can be examined in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland in Belfast. For example, Enniskillen RC registers commence in 1838 and are held at reference MIC1D/10-11. But check out ancestry.com and/or FindMyPast.ie to see if they have digitised and indexed these registers.

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 12 Jul 2018 9:08 PM
View Quick Profile
The closest match I can find is the Baptism of John McCaffery 23rd August 1851...parents John (not Patrick ) and Ann (not Rose Ann McGuire) in the parish of Devonish. Sponsors Bernard and Bridget McManus .https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/12-07-2018/31c57733-2f3c-422e-8100-f781.png http://registers.nli.ie//registers/vtls000632843#page/1/mode/1up