Driscoll and Mahony Irish Roots

Driscoll and Mahony Irish Roots

Author
Posted Thu 13 Feb 2020 8:33 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
HI Daniel,

Bridget and Timothy, both first marriages, were married on the 14th of February 1904.  You can find this info, along with other information on www.irishgenealogy.ie    Perhaps he took over as head of the family for some minor children of their siblings? Either from death or immigration? Or transportation?

Hope this helps! 
Ginger
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 13 Feb 2020 9:00 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Actually that is one piece of information I already did have thank you.  I have the records.  Try as I might I have not found anything on either of them after that date! Nor on the DOD for John or Johanna.

I have entertained the possibility Timothy was actually a nephew or other relation of John and Johanna who came to live with them. The other possibility was that Timothy was John's by his first marriage (except that he was younger than my G-grandfather and his brother)

The puzzling fact is that my Great Grandfather Daniel who would have been his half brother or cousin, didnt name any of his children after Timothy. There were 4 sons of Daniel - John, Cornelius, Daniel and Francis.  (I am Daniel Francis, My older brothers middle name is John, my younger brothers middle name is Cornelius!) Knowing what we know about Irish naming conventions, it seems odd that one of  them wouldn't be named Timothy? You can see how even 2 generations removed my mother still managed to get all of her uncles names into myself and my brothers.
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 14 Feb 2020 9:36 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Daniel,

Thanks to Ginger for some further input into your quest!

It is possible that Timothy was a close but not direct descendant and he took over the responsibility of the others.

Also, the naming convention of the eldest son being named after his paternal grandfather, the second son would be named after his maternal grandfather, the third son would be named after his father, and the fourth son would be named after his father’s oldest brother may not have been one that he stuck to.

Please keep us up to date with any further discoveries, it is quite intriguing!