Belfast to Dublin

Belfast to Dublin

Author
Posted Mon 16 Jul 2018 4:53 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Traveling from Amsterdam to Belfast in January 2019, but would also like to visit Dublin.
What's the best/cheapest way to get from Belfast to Dublin, train or bus? Where do they depart from, and what would it cost me? I've been looking around on internet but can't really find the best website to tell me all I need to know.
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 17 Jul 2018 2:28 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 17
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 20 Feb 2023 3:15 PM Visits: 1.1K
Dag Naomi,
Lovely to hear that you'll be travelling to Ireland next year.

Both train and bus are viable options to travel between Belfast and Dublin.

Train and bus are very comfortable ways of travelling the Irish countryside and for certain trips you can even buy your tickets online ahead of time. The bus takes you about 3 hours, straight from Belfast into Dublin and the train will take you about 2 or 2 1/2 hours depending on the time you travel. Both are comfortable and easy to get to.

The Journeyplanner website will help you find the best and easiest way for you to travel nearer the time, but keep in mind that some schedules will not be announced or finalised until about 2 months before the date of travel.

Do you have your plans for Belfast and Dublin finalised yet? We'd love to hear what you're planning to do during your stay.

Have a wonderful day,
Cornelia

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 17 Jul 2018 2:34 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Thank you Cornelia, that's very helpful :)
Main reason for visiting Belfast is for a concert in the SSE Arena, but also would love to visit the Titanic Museum and go on a Game of Thrones tour! But any other input is helpful too! I think I would like to visit Dublin just for a day, so I think by train would be best.

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 20 Jul 2018 12:36 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Naomi,

If you're making your way south from Belfast to Dublin, can I suggest the City of Armagh as a stop off on your way? There are regular buses from Belfast to Armagh and a direct link bus from Armagh to Dublin (the X4, www.translink.co.uk) Armagh is packed full of interesting historical attractions and is the Ecclesiastical Capital for all of Ireland - in fact there is so much on offer it would be best if I ask you to have a look at www.visitarmagh.com  

One of the area's most significant sites is The Navan Centre & Fort (located just two miles outside Armagh City). It is the ancient seat of Kings and the earliest capital of Ulster. You can discover local myths and legends from the tales of The Ulster Cycle via our audio visual show which is available in 5 different languages. With archaeological evidence dating back to 95BC, our experienced tour guides will accompany you to what is undoubtedly one of Ireland’s most famous sites, Emain Macha. Indeed, this site is considered to be what brought St. Patrick to Armagh.

Hopefully this will give you something else to consider for your trip and I hope you have a wonderful visit, no matter what you decide to do.

Best Wishes,

Matthew.

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 20 Jul 2018 1:00 PM
View Quick Profile
Thanks Matthew, will definitely look into it!

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 20 Jul 2018 3:27 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Naomi, 

A day trip to Dublin from Belfast by train is a great idea, and you'll be able to enjoy some lovely views along the way. :) I'd definitely recommend booking your train tickets as early as possible so you can enjoy an early bird discount. You can book them directly via the Translink website.

Have you decided on what you would like to see and do while you're in Dublin? The city is filled with wonderful attractions, literature, great food and music
For now, I wish you loads of fun planning your trip, and please feel free to give us a shout if you need anything else. We're always here to help. 

Melin

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 20 Jul 2018 3:37 PM
View Quick Profile
That's fantastic Melin, lots of helpful information - thank you!
Going to read it all now :)
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 2 Apr 2019 8:39 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 34
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 3 hours ago Visits: 13.9K
Hi, Naomi.

How was exploring Belfast? Were you able to see everything you planned? I'd love to hear more about your trip, so feel free to create another thread within our Tell your Story forum and share your trip experience with us.

Have a great day,

Francesco
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 30 Oct 2023 7:03 AM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 12
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 22 Mar 2024 10:34 AM Visits: 269
Congratulations on your safe travel, and thank you for sharing your journey with us.