Tips for my trip to Galway

Tips for my trip to Galway

Author
Posted Fri 31 Aug 2018 9:16 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
HI Martin,
thanks for your answer and your good tips. I did the cycle tour from Galway to Moycullen and Spiddal - it was really nice especially nearby Spiddal. 

Do you think it's nicer to hike or to cycle on the Aran Islands. I really like to cycle but here in Ireland its not that comfortable as in Germany because we have not to cycle mostly together with fast cars on the street especially when the cars are allowed to drive very fast. Are there good roads or nice tracks to cycle on Aran Islands or is it better to walk? 

Ok thanks for the link for the same question. It would be interesting if two islands would be possible but I think I'll visit only Inishmor so I have time to enjoy it. 

The link about the trail near coral beach was on an island. Do I have to use a ferry to it? 
Thanks a lot
Wish you a nice weeking
Greetings
Kathrin
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 1 Sep 2018 11:02 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Kathrin, 

The Aran Islands are fantastic to explore by bike. :) There are no cars allowed on the ferries to the islands, so it is the perfect place for a peaceful bike ride. The routes are suited for cycling, with gentle roads and relatively flat circuits, and you can rent bikes there if necessary. I recommend taking your time to explore the island, and if you have time to spare try to catch a ferry to one of the other islands.

Coral Beach is located in Carraroe, County Galway. It is on the island of Ireland itself, so you can drive straight to it. :)

Let us know if there is anything else you need, and I wish you a great weekend! 

Melin
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 2 Sep 2018 10:07 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi Melin,
Thank you for your quick answer at the weekend :-)

I really was on the Aran Islands and was cycling around. It was really fantastic..wonderful views - I liked especially the View from the Cliffs but there were so much wonderful views. It was really lovely to cycle on the island. Thanks for your advice. I was only on Inish Mor, but you were right - it is nice to take the time and to explore it.

Sounds great with coral beach.

I now consider if I should go to Connemara. I like the mountains very much and the pictures I have seen look beautiful. Do you have a tip for a 2-3 hour tour - unfortunately I have not time for a longer tour because I have school lessons until 3 o'clock and I have also to drive to the start point and drive back in the evening ;-) what be perfect if you have a good advice.
Thanks a lot in advance. 
I hope you had a great weekend too.
Greetings 
Kathrin
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 4 Sep 2018 11:58 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Kathrin,

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the Aran Island of Inish Mor, it is indeed a lovely place for a cycle!

The Irish Trails website has some great trails that you could follow. Clifden is about 1 hour 20 minutes from Galway and has several loop trails that you could try. Please take a wee look at their list, some are just over an hour so well worth the time after your lessons.

If you fancy an off-road forest cycle, they also have information on the Portumna forest trail. It is a forest trail that has some wonderful views over Lough Derg and is only an hour from Galway.

How much longer will you be with us for?

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 4 Sep 2018 10:11 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Martin,

thats true - Aran Islands is really a lovely place :-) 

Thanks again for your advice. I was yesterday in Connemara and climbed/walked up to the diamond hill. It was such an amazing view from the top! I hope I will have time to go there once more - perhaps than to Clifton. Thanks for that! 

Your advice with the forest trails sounds wonderful. Unfortunately on the link to download the map only the website from Explore Coillte opens. I'm not sure if everyone can cycle there or if I need a annual card and without track I think its not a good idea to go there. 

I am staying until Saturday in Galway :-)
Thanks a lot for your lots of help 
Greetings
Kathrin
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 5 Sep 2018 11:03 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Kathrin,

The Coillte website does take a bit of navigating!

By following the recreational map prompt you can reduce your search down and end up at the Portumna forest park page. Towards the bottom of the information page is a link to the downloadable trail map and other super information.

There are 2 mountain bike trails; both open and flowing with gentle gradients through beautiful woodland and along the lake shores. These are 'easy' grade and are suitable for almost all riders.

I hope this helps and that you manage to get there before you leave Galway on Saturday.

Maybe our fellow members and industry partners can suggest some things too.

Martin