I want to visit Cork but I’m on a budget. Any suggestions?

I want to visit Cork but I’m on a budget. Any suggestions?

Author
Posted Wed 22 Aug 2018 9:55 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Cork city is bursting with character, charm and colour. And the best part? You can experience it all without breaking the bank!

History buffs – you’re spoiled for choice in Cork. Check out the Cork Public Museum beside the beautiful University College Cork campus or check out The Butter Museum where you can learn all about the history of butter-making and exporting from this part of the island. If you get there at noon on Tuesdays, Thursdays or Saturdays during July and August, you can experience a butter-making demonstration and sample the freshest butter you’ll ever taste!

Like art? Cork has you covered. The Glucksman Gallery with its striking modern architecture is a real treat. Or try the Crawford Art Gallery where you’ll find works by Louis le Brocquy, Jan Brueghel and Harry Clarke. Both galleries offer free admission (with a recommended donation) and friendly cafés where you can refuel with a coffee and slice of homemade cake.

If you’re wondering how to get around the city, you’re in luck. Cork is delightfully compact so pretty much everything is within walking distance. For a slightly faster mode of transport, the Cork bike share allows you to get yourself a bike for a few days and navigate the city with ease. For just €3, you get three days of use and the first 30 minutes of your rental is free. There are also plenty of bus services for those who want to travel like the locals.

You’ve probably built up quite an appetite by now, haven’t you? Then head straight for the English Market, one of the best food markets in Europe. You’ll find vendors selling everything from fruit and vegetables to cakes, meat and more. This is the perfect place to pick up some picnic supplies and make your own meal or stop by one of the restaurants or cafés in the market.

When it comes to finding a place to rest your head, Cork offers some great bargain options, like Sheila's Hostel right in the heart of the city or the Kinlay Hostel, located beside the city’s famous Shandon Bells. If you can spare €5 you can even ring the bells yourself!

Anybody else been to Cork and have some tips on exploring on a budget? Let the community know!

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/22-08-2018/51fb1470-6647-4127-9965-8958.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 20 Mar 2023 3:33 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 11
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 27 Oct 2023 5:03 PM Visits: 58
Great tips, I've written a blog post with 10 tips on this topic also...

Tips 1 to 3 are...

Check out the following tips to make the most of your time in Cork city…

1. Travel light:

Always travel light. You don’t have to go all hard-core backpacker and pack only 3 changes of clothes. However, you should be aware – the more you pack, the more you spend. And the more you pack the more difficulty you’ll have getting around.

Which means more taxis, car hire and parking charges and more expensive accommodation closer to airports, train stations in the city center. Generally, you’ll get less bang for your buck!You’ll also be paying more of your precious cash for excess baggage charges on your flight to Ireland.

Moral of the story: pack as light as possible.

2. Shop for food at local supermarkets:

Cork city is a great walking city. It’s small, compact and has everything you’ll need within walking distance of the city centre. Our local supermarkets sell an abundance of cheap, nutritious food, including sandwiches, fruit, vegetables and sometimes hot meats eg. chicken, turkey and hamburgers etc.

Ask a local to point you in the direction of Tesco on Paul Street in the city center. Any Aldi, Lidl or Dunnes Stores store will also do.

3. Stock up your carry bag:

You’re travelling light, right? Well, you can leave your bags at your accommodation.

However, you’ll want to stock your carry backpack or bag with healthy, nutritious food from the supermarket for when you get hungry.Make sure to purchase a large bottle of water along with foods high in protein to keep you fuller, longer eg. cheese, protein bars, chicken slices along with fruit for snacks.

The rest of the tips are at...

https://rebelcitytour.com/cork-city-on-budget/?utm_source=ireland_com