What is the best way to travel to the Aran Islands

What is the best way to travel to the Aran Islands

Author
Posted Fri 25 Jan 2019 2:12 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello Poul,
Thank you for your reaction.
I am convinced now to at least book one way to the Aran Islands by plane.
Greetings Alette

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 25 Jan 2019 6:35 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi Alette,
I see you made a list of places to go on the Beara Peninsula.
Dursey Island: Yes, absolutely. Bere Island: Yes, absolutely.
You listed Kilcatherine as well. If you go, you could consider a stop at the HAG OF BEARA. It's an odd shaped piece of rock sticking out from the rest of the rock, see image below. People leave offerings such as coins and belongings - on the image a red necklace can be seen. Legend has it that it's Cailleach Beara who is waiting on her husband, Manannan, God of the Sea.
Regarding Dursey Island, be sure to stay at a B & B or likewise within a reasonable distance from the cable car. 3 times in the past I've made the mistake of getting up, enjoying breakfast and be 10 minutes too late for the last cable car departure before lunch break! If you take the cable car AFTER lunch, you won't have enough time to walk to the other end of Dursey Island to see the rocks, the Calf and the Bull, before the last cable car returns to the main land. Now, things may have changed since I was there, I just want you to be aware of the timetable.
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/25-01-2019/127629de-a050-4f3a-95ea-03f0.jpg