Three nights in Galway and Three in Dublin

Three nights in Galway and Three in Dublin

Author
Posted Fri 18 Jan 2019 10:48 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 26
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Tue 1 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 833
Hello again Mike!

2 things for you.
Firstly, re the Aran Islands.  I might be slightly biased ;)  but I would say it is definitely worth a daytrip, if you have the time to spare - the closest island to the Galway side, where you will be staying is Inis Mor, and Aran Island Ferries based in Rossaveal can take you. 

For the Sheepdog Trials, you cannot beat a day out with John Davoren in the Burren, and the good news is, they are open in March  This is just a fabulous experience for all involved - always reminds me of the movie Babe <3

All the best, Joan from Garrihys Doolin2Aran Ferries
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 24 Jan 2019 4:05 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi there,
You asked what to see on the way to Galway from Dublin and also to see around Galway.
Going from Dublin to Galway you can drive on the motorway M6. You can do a detour to KILBEGGAN to visit Locke's Whiskey Distillery for a guided tour. After that, you head 10 miles south to TULLAMORE for a visit to Tullamore Distillery. You may need to book in advance:
kilbeggandistillery.com
tullamoredew.com

As for "around Galway", the Arans have been mentioned. That's a very good idea. You can consider going to CONNEMARA AIRPORT at Inverin and - if still available - take the 8 MINUTES FLIGHT to Kilronan on Inish Moor. Or a round trip. Weather permitting, you get to see all 3 of the Aran Islands. See the image below. If you love flying, it's a wow experience!

Lastly, also around Galway, you could consider a drive to FURNISH ISLAND. It's the 5th island and 5 causeways from the mainland! From Galway City head west through Spiddal to Costelloe - it's Casla in Irish. Take R574 and pass the Irish radio station. Drive through Welshpool on the first island, cross the next causeway to Lettermore, then Gorumna Island, then Lettermullan and finish on Furnish Island. It's actually a long drive. There may not be so much to see, but it's genuine Irish countryside.
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/24-01-2019/627ec10b-1a35-437f-bea6-3c4a.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 28 Jan 2019 10:33 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Thanks again for all your marvelous suggestions.  I have a couple more questions.  As we will be there the first week in March, will most things be open?  We are also on somewhat of a budget and I am wondering how much of the exploring can be done without an organized tour, especially since we rented a car.  Can we do the Cliffs of Moher without a tour guide? Any others that we can do without official guides?  I would like a walking historical and pub tour of Galway, is there such a thing?  I know we definitely want to see the working sheep dogs.  We will probably be spending a lot of our budget on the food and adult beverages!  Each of our first three evenings we will be returning to our accommodations in Galway-so I don't want to travel too far each day, under two hours drive?.  Our "second" three nights and days in Dublin I feel more confident in our itinerary.

Thank you all again!
Mike

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 29 Jan 2019 10:12 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Mike, 

It is wonderful to see that you've already received so many wonderful tips and suggestions, and I am happy to answer your questions. :)

Renting a car gives you loads of freedom to go where the road takes you, especially with unplanned stops at hidden gems along the way. Take a look at this helpful list of free events, activities and experiences.

Visiting at the beginning of March is a wonderful time of year, as the weather gets warmer, and it is not quite peak season. It is possible to park your car at the Visitor Centre of the Cliffs of Moher, and explore the area on your own, without a tour guide. If you buy your tickets up to at least one day in advance, you receive a 50% discount off the original price as well. 

Galway is filled with history, and there are many historical walking tours to choose from. Take a look at the options here. I think you'll also like this article on 10 things to do for free in Galway

It seems you plans are coming along nicely, and please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions. :) 

Warm regards,

Melin

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 29 Jan 2019 1:54 PM
View Quick Profile
Hello...I should have added this- I am thinking of only staying two nights in Galway, and spend the third in Doolin after a day exploring Cliffs of Moher area.  Thanks.
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 29 Jan 2019 2:22 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 26
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Tue 1 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 833
Well I think staying in Doolin is a marvelous idea Mike ;)  Pity we are not sailing ourselves! 
You should consider these 2 options for visiting the Cliffs of Moher - 

Pat Sweeney is a local farmer who has developed a guided walk along the Cliffs of Moher trail, fantastic trip - you can learn more here.

Another local farmer, Martin Guerin, has opened up a viewing area and car park on his lands, which are at the southern end of the Cliffs of Moher.  Guerins Path is a hidden gem, access to stunning views of the cliffs, but away from the crowds and traffic at the visitor centre.

Enjoy your stay in Doolin :)
All the best, Joan
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 29 Jan 2019 5:07 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 May 2023 12:42 PM Visits: 1.6K
Hi Mike,

It sounds like you have quite the journey planned so far! I'd be happy to help add to it. 😊 If you're taking a stop in Doolin, you may enjoy joining a tour to explore the Doolin Cave. You could also hop on the Doolin Ferry to see even more of the Cliffs of Moher or pay a quick visit to the Aran Islands - which I do see you'd mentioned before! If you're looking for more adventure, there are even kayaking tours which explore along the coast of the Burren and County Clare. These should all be available come March. 

For even more to do in Galway, have you taken a look at the day trips? There are a ton of tours available, from exploring the Cliffs of Moher to seeing the traditional hill-village of Cnoc Suain. There's also plenty to see and do in the city for free if you'd prefer.

Is there anything that is piquing your interest so far? If there's anything that you would really like to see, do be sure to let us know! I'm sure everyone here would be happy to help offer a few more suggestions.

Best of luck!

~Rochelle
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 29 Jan 2019 6:49 PM
View Quick Profile
Thanks to all.  Those cliff tours look perfect for our time in Doolin!  I definitely want to do a walking tour of Galway if there is such a thing.
I can't say enough how grateful I am for all the responses on this forum.  I feel like I owe you all a pint!  If some of you live in or near Galway, please name a pub to meet on the evening Friday March 1st and we will be there- I think four 50-something Americans will stick out like sore thumbs.  Guinness (or your preference) on us!
Mike, (Bill, Art and Steve)