Christian Heritage Sites in Ireland

Christian Heritage Sites in Ireland

Author
Posted Wed 26 Dec 2018 7:36 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
You will come across so many churches in Ireland (it is often debated whether there are more churches or pubs). Many place names even derive from local Christian sites in the area (eg: cill (also spelled kil or kill) comes from the Irish for “churchyard” or “graveyard”).

For anyone interested in early Christian heritage on the island, you will find beautiful round towers, many of which are in good enough condition to climb, as well as monasteries, high crosses, and more! Here are just a few I’ve come across in my wanderings of the island... Feel free to add to the list! 

Glendalough, County Wicklow
What can I saw about Glendalough? It’s absolutely remarkable, nestled in the stunning mountains of Wicklow. Be sure to wrap your arms around St. Kevin’s Cross and make a wish when you’re there (photo taken in December).
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/26-12-2018/e8f19bb3-3664-4add-8ad1-23ee.jpg

Devenish Island, County Fermanagh
Getting to Devenish Island is part of the joy, as you access via a short (and very stunning) boat journey from Enniskillen. The island itself is home to monastic ruins, a round tower, and beautifully carved high crosses (photo taken in July). 
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/26-12-2018/afa6d513-d2f0-490a-88f0-7390.jpg

Clonmacnoise, County Offaly
Clonmacnoise is a wonderful place to visit. It also happens to break up the journey between Dublin and Galway very well, so consider a detour if you’re driving between the two cities. Stunning views of the River Shannon and amazingly preserved and restored crosses and ruins make for a fascinating visit (photo taken in January). 
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/26-12-2018/19b3b680-8bad-4dcb-8a33-682f.jpg

Turlough Cemetery, County Mayo
I came across Turlough Cemetery when visiting the National Museum of Ireland - Country Life, just down the road. Both the this s burial site (pictured here in June), as well as the museum, are very well worth the visit!
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/26-12-2018/03d08599-bd2e-4ec5-a0a0-8f7f.jpg

Aran Islands, County Galway
If you have the chance to visit the Aran Islands, you should do it! This is the Seven Churches on the largest island, Inis Mór. I found this place on a small bus tour of the island (one lovely day in June).
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/26-12-2018/1fc0ae5a-9eb4-46dd-9caf-b50d.jpg

I've also shared tips around some amazing prehistoric Celtic sites, if you'd like to check it out

Would love to hear about your experiences, as well! :)

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 30 Dec 2018 4:59 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Jenny,

There are many wonderful sites dotted all over the island of Ireland, one of my favourites is in Carndonagh, County Donegal.

Carndonagh Cross, County Donegal
Carn Domhnach ~ Meaning 'The Cairn of the Church' or 'Burial Mound of the Church' is a small market town, part of the Inishowen peninsula section of the Wild Atlantic Way. At the edge of the town, you can see a very fine example of an early Christian Cross, the Donagh Cross (photo below) which dates from the 7th century and once belonged to a Christian monastery founded by St. Patrick. 

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/30-12-2018/786cfb09-9fe8-4613-91a6-9503.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 18 Mar 2019 2:48 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hey Jenny

I really think you should add Knock Shrine to this list! It seems like something Christian travelers would really want to see on their visits to Ireland. It's also included in a lot of popular spiritual tours and while it's not much to look at like some of these other sites, the history surrounding it certainly gives the place some energy! 
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 18 Mar 2019 3:12 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Harry, 

That's a great idea! Thanks so much for sharing your suggestion with us here. :)

Knock Shrine in County Mayo is definitely worth a visit. When did you visit us? 

Warm regards,

Melin

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 19 Mar 2019 2:11 PM
View Quick Profile
Hey Melin

It was ages ago when I was living in Ireland with my mam in 2002/3 (I was just starting school). We were visiting a friend or relative of hers in the area and I just remember her telling me about the apparitions and I couldn't be more impressed. I don't recall if we visited the shrine itself or not, I'll have to give her a ring and ask. 
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 18 Dec 2020 10:13 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (199 reputation)Community Expert (199 reputation)Community Expert (199 reputation)Community Expert (199 reputation)Community Expert (199 reputation)Community Expert (199 reputation)Community Expert (199 reputation)Community Expert (199 reputation)Community Expert (199 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 16
Australia
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 6 Mar 2023 10:45 AM Visits: 357
We are only a week away from Christmas.

This year's Christmas surely feels so different. While we cannot celebrate with the crowd at the masses, with our technology, not only can we now see family and friends on a tiny screen, we can also participate in various virtual Christmas celebration events, as well as feeling the glory vibe of cathedrals and churches.

Christ Church Cathedral
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/18-12-2020/b9dad772-27bd-4215-ab5d-5016.jpg
Standing on high ground in the oldest part of Dublin, Christ Church Cathedral is one of the city’s finest historic buildings.
Click here to see The Nave, Choir and Altar in 360-degree images.

Saint Patrick’s Cathedral 
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/18-12-2020/ca060d85-9dc2-4223-bef5-f7ab.jpg
Founded in 1191, it is the larger of Dublin’s two Church of Ireland cathedrals, and with its 43-metre (140 feet) spire is the largest church in Ireland.
Check it out here for a high-resolution interior virtual experience, it's just like you're in there!

After seeing these virtual tours, I am bookmarking these spots to visit in real life some day.

For virtual gigs and events for Christmas, check this thread out here!