Looking for where Thomas McCaffrey (1813-1873) and his wife Dorcas Ann Willoughby (1817-1872) came...

Looking for where Thomas McCaffrey (1813-1873) and his wife Dorcas Ann...

Author
Posted Fri 11 Jan 2019 3:48 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 16
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 26 Jul 2023 11:55 AM Visits: 193
Hi Annette, 

Glad you found that information helpful.

With regard to the church records available on www.irishgenealogy.ie, they only cover parishes in Counties Cork, Carlow, Dublin and Kerry. 

Civil registration of all births, marriages and deaths started in Ireland in 1864, non-Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 so that may be why you are not finding any relevant results so as you have suggested, commissioning research may be the best way to proceed.

Best wishes,

Gillian, 
Ulster Historical Foundation

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 13 Jan 2019 8:02 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Dear Gillian
Thanks for your additional information. As an established educational researcher I love doing my own investigations and so I joined ancestry to access documents for relatives from England and Australia and have been relatively successful. The McCaffrey/Willoughby line has been a mystery and challenge beyond their arrival in Australia. I will give some thought to commissioning research but it seems like admitting defeat!
kind regards
Annette
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 19 Jun 2019 4:00 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Did you have any luck finding information on Dorcas Willoughby.   I have a family of Willoughby's ; Richard, Ralph, Eliza Mary, John and Henry from Monaghan, Cavan, Fermanagh.   Another Thomas Willoughby, son of a William born in Dung, County Cavan, Ireland.  All of the above came to Canada in about 1822.

Joyce
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 20 Jun 2019 1:23 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Joyce
I got as far as Cavan for the Willoughbys and Fermanagh for the McCaffreys but gave up as they left Ireland so long ago (1851) the record trail seems impossible.
Thanks
Annette
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 20 Jun 2019 9:07 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Annette and Joyce,

As with all family history traces, similar names can add to the confusion of direct lines going back in time.

With some leaving for Australia and some for the Americas it would be wonderful to find a common family connection.

Please feel free to post some photos of any documentation you have, you never know, you may be related!

Martin