I’m planning a walking trip and I heard the Sheep’s Head is a great spot. Is that right?

I’m planning a walking trip and I heard the Sheep’s Head is a great...

Author
Posted Thu 10 Jan 2019 9:47 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
The Sheep’s Head is one of our most famous walking destinations, and for good reason! It’s an idyllic oasis of tranquillity, with breathtaking views and a calming stillness for people who need a break from their busy lives. The Sheep’s Head is one of five Southern Peninsulas in County Kerry and County Cork that make up our Wild Atlantic Way. As you make your way along the coastal routes,  you’ll be constantly stopping and taking in the arresting views of the stormy Atlantic as you walk.

The Sheep’s Head Way is 200 km (124 miles) in its entirety, so you’ll see plenty of our captivating coastline along the way. For those who are less inclined to hike the whole way, you can split the walks down into smaller, more manageable loop head walks. If you’re up for the challenge you’ll be rewarded for your efforts but be prepared for all sorts of terrain!

Along the way you might stumble upon some interesting sights, like ancient stone circles, church ruins, standing stones, and even an old disused copper mine. If you’re lucky, you may even spy some dolphins and whales swimming in the Atlantic, but you’ll have to be patient. If you make it to the very tip of the peninsula, you’ll be able to see Sheep’s Head lighthouse which has guided ships away from the island for forty years.

Don’t fear the remoteness of the peninsula! If you need a break from walking, there’s plenty of other things to do. Drive to Cork city for some evening entertainment, or stay within the peninsula and try out scuba diving and horse riding in Bantry bay. You can try out some kayaking, or unleash your inner angler and catch some fish off the bay. If getting close to animals is more your thing, why not make the trip to Carbery Island to visit the seal colony that makes it home there.

For those who want to have an extended trip to Sheep’s Head, there are a number of places to stay ranging from farmhouses to bed and breakfasts and even camping sites for the more adventurous types.

An unspoiled beauty, the Sheep’s Head is the ideal location for people to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life, and relax in the quiet blissfulness of it all.

Have any of our community members visited the Sheep’s Head? Are there any places that you would recommend?

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 22 Jan 2019 3:14 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Sheep's Head is great. It's a very long and very narrow peninsula. With very few villages you get the feeling you are almost on your own. I think Kilcohrane is actually the only village on the entire peninsula. 
At the far end you come to a car park. If you wish to continue out to the lighthouse, you'll have to walk. On the south side you might come across some sheer drops. I don't know how tall they are but prob. around 60 to 80 meters - on the image notice the people on top of the cliff; one sitting, one standing.

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/22-01-2019/127e2f3c-7837-46f2-99a8-6ab9.jpg