I love Irish history and I can't wait to visit Kilmainham Gaol - what else can I visit?

I love Irish history and I can't wait to visit Kilmainham Gaol - what...

Author
Posted Thu 7 Feb 2019 9:36 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
That’s great that you want to explore Irish history while you’re visiting, you won’t be disappointed! Irish history is so exciting, especially because it’s so varied. Whatever period of history interests you, there’s sure to be something for you to see and do.

Kilmainham Gaol offers a fascinating insight into Irish history, having housed everyone from petty thieves to political rebels under one roof. Overcrowded and underfunded, it closed as a gaol in 1924. It re-opened its doors in 1966 after a huge restoration effort, and now serves as a reminder of some of Ireland’s most recent turbulent history. It’s a must-see for any history buff, but buy your tickets in advance, as this popular exhibition routinely sells out.  

For more of Ireland’s prison history, head down to County Cork and visit Spike Island. There’s a long history surrounding the island, which not only served as a prison but also a monastery and a military fortress! From monks to rebels, this island has seen it all. As you’re exploring the prison cells and the tunnels, revel in the striking scenery of the island. Be sure to explore Cobh when you get back onto the mainland!

For more ancient history, visit Dublin Castle, a medieval marvel in the heart of the city. Built in 1230, it has served as a court and a medieval fortress in the past, with its fascinating history on display as you wander through the grounds. Previous visitors to the castle include Charles Dickens, John F Kennedy, and Nelson Mandela. Bram Stoker, the author of Dracula, even worked here in the 19th century.

For a taste of Ireland’s literary history, stop and have a bite to eat at some Irish authors’ favourite haunts in Dublin. Check out Davy Byrne’s, which James Joyce frequented and mentioned in his most famous novel, Ulysses. Or try Toner’s, where Bram Stoker was said to be a regular customer. Its stone floors, brass bar taps, and glazed cabinets will make you feel like you’ve stepped back in time.

For your final history hit, stop by the popular Book of Kells Exhibition in Trinity College. Written around 800 AD by monks at St Columcille’s Monastery, it’s regarded as one of the oldest books in the world. This exhibition is extremely popular, so make sure to book early for your chance to see this ornately illustrated manuscript.

Can our Community members recommend any other interesting historical sites?

Tags
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 9 Feb 2019 12:24 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
That's an excellent subject, Ellie!

I have a couple of proposals.

The 1916 Rising

More than any event, the 1916 Rising marked the birth of the Republic of Ireland. Although the rising only lasted a week, it sparked an avalanche of events that would lead to the freestate and eventually the republic years later. I recommend a guided tour at Glasnevin Cemetery because you will get to learn some of the names behind the rising, learn about the heroic actions and learn the gripping story. A must is a visit to the General Post Office on O'Connell Street.

If one goes to Cork, one can visit Béal na Bláth, where Ireland's national hero was assassinated. One can watch the movie Michael Collins (played by Liam Neeson) and follow the events during the War of Independence 1919-1921. It's a fascinating film and very educational.

County Sligo

Sligo is a melting pot of history because it traces history back thousands of years. There are ancient monuments, in particular Carrowmore and Carrowkeel, Queen Maeve's grave, and there is Lissadell where the charismatic Countess Markievicz grew up. When Theresa May wanted to celebrate the 100 years anniversary for the first woman elected to the British Parliament in 1918, they realized it was Countess Markievicz, who rebelled against the British in 1916! Also in Sligo is Yeatt's Country, and one can vsiit W.B. Yeatts' grave in Drumcliffe.

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 24 Apr 2019 10:29 AM
View Quick Profile
Hello, 

I have a very exciting and thrilling tourist attraction in Dublin for you to visit. 

Vaults Live is a live theatrical experience in the heart of Dublin. We host live, theatrical shows about 6 key characters in Irish history like Dracula, Molly Malone, Vikings and more.

Our characters and shows are heavily based on the juiciest parts of Irish culture and history. It is quite an entertaining show that lasts 60 minutes. I think our Vaults Live shows are a perfect addition to your website since we also promote Irish heritage. 

Here is a link to our website: https://www.vaults.live/