WHITE family, County Roscommon

WHITE family, County Roscommon

Author
Posted Thu 14 Feb 2019 8:41 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello,

I'm looking for any information whatsover concerning my ancestors from County Roscommon.

My great great great grandfather was called Patrick White born approx 1832.

My great great grandfather was called John (born approx 1861). He had three brothers, William, Michael and Patrick. They left Roscommon with their mother and grandfather as a family around 1880.

John, William and Micheal went to England, Patrick to the USA.

I'm told that they had a sister Bridget who stayed in Roscommon and married a man named Kilkenny and lived at Lisacul Way, Castelreagh?

John White is recorded as living in Heaton Norris, Stockport England in 1881 with his brothers, mother Mary and grandfather John Mahon (born in Ireland approx. 1811)

If anyone can help me in my search it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Christopher White
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 14 Feb 2019 10:16 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Christopher

If you have not already done so, check the County Roscommon database at www.roscommon.rootsireland.ie. For example they hold birth details of a John White born 1861.

Alternatively you can contact them at info@roscommonroots.com.

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 14 Feb 2019 2:30 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Thank you Brian. I will take a look.
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 21 Feb 2019 10:19 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Christopher. 

You've received a helpful tip from Brian already. :)

We would love to hear what you are able to uncover about your Roscommon roots, so keep us posted on your findings, and we're always here if you have any questions. 

Feel free to get back to us in French as well if you prefer. :)

Warm regards,

Melin
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 21 Feb 2019 8:10 PM
View Quick Profile
Hello Merin,

I haven't got round to having a look as yet but I'll be sure to update you with any findings. Just out of curiosity, do you happen to know if White is a common surname in Ireland?

Kind regards

Christopher

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 21 Feb 2019 8:21 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Christopher, 

Thanks for getting back to me! :)

Even though it is thought that the name White came to Britain from Normandy, it is quite a common surname in Ireland. During Griffith's Valuation (1847-64) there were 3045 households by the name of White on the island. 

I wish you the best of luck on your research, and let us know what you're able to uncover.

Warm regards,

Melin

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 18 Mar 2020 1:36 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi I’m also researching my white family from Roscommon, John White born about 1823, don’t know  when he moved to Glasgow but he married  my grt grt grandmother in Glasgow 1843, his parents were John white and Catherine Fairlie.
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 18 Mar 2020 6:59 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 7 Aug 2022 10:39 AM Visits: 689
Hi Colleen,

There are quite a few records coming up with those details. I have narrowed it down to about 380 from the few thousand that came up.

Here is a link to the baptisms in Roscommon which contain both the name John White and Cathrine.
I would begin by flicking through them to see if anything jumps out. you are really just looking for the parent's names to match.

If you don't have much luck there, you may want to have a look at the marriages on the left-hand side or play about with spellings/dates.

Let me know how you get on, 
G.
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 18 Mar 2020 10:35 PM
View Quick Profile
Ok thanks I will but as far as I can make out they were Protestant so don’t know if there was any baptisms but I’ll have a look as u never knew. Thank you
colleen
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 19 Mar 2020 9:45 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
That would change things indeed!

Records before 1864 would be either parish or church records, in Roscommon, there was St Coman's Church that may well have been their local church, please take a look at the Church of Ireland Dioceses website for contact information.

Also, have you tried Brian's suggestion of the Roscommon RootsIreland page for any help with finding your John White?

Martin