This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

McGovern/Magauran Family Co. Cavan “Red Oineys”

McGovern/Magauran Family Co. Cavan “Red Oineys”

Author
Posted Mon 27 Jul 2020 3:56 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 3
Great Britain
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 5 Aug 2020 7:58 AM Visits: 26
On the 23 rd of August 1897 Owen Mc Govern married an Anne Smith  in Corlough and the witnesses were Anne Mc Manus and a Dennis Prior so this cold be a son of Owen and Anne
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 27 Jul 2020 4:50 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm hooked
I'm hooked (428 reputation)I'm hooked (428 reputation)I'm hooked (428 reputation)I'm hooked (428 reputation)I'm hooked (428 reputation)I'm hooked (428 reputation)I'm hooked (428 reputation)I'm hooked (428 reputation)I'm hooked (428 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 8
Great Britain
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 9 Aug 2020 4:47 PM Visits: 37
Hi Mike!

All of those names sound familiar, although not connected to my tree just yet. I do have a Bridget Macgoveran, although I’m not a direct descendant from her. I think she may be an in law (I have to look when I get home). I do have a few Prior (Pryor?) in my tree. You may want to check out a book called You CAN go home again by Jim McGowan (That’s his pen name - his real name is Jim McGovern). I bought it off of amazon. It has some interesting facts on the Red Oineys and tells of his trek back to county Cavan in the early 2000s. He mentions the Cavan center for Genealogy and stated that they have a ton of info on the McGoverns of Cavan. I just started reading it myself, but he is the one person in our family who knows almost everything there is to know about the McGoverns.
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 27 Jul 2020 7:53 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 3
Great Britain
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 5 Aug 2020 7:58 AM Visits: 26
Hi Danielle, came across an Anne Mc Manus married to a Patrick Prior from Templeport, she was from Coraclassy and the date was 1857. Even Anne Mc Manus was popular,  I think I came across two dozen. IRISH GENEALOGY. IE is a great site and it's free. ROOTS IRELAND  WOULD COST YOU 31 POUND A MONTH.
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 28 Jul 2020 12:04 AM
View Quick Profile
I'm hooked
I'm hooked (428 reputation)I'm hooked (428 reputation)I'm hooked (428 reputation)I'm hooked (428 reputation)I'm hooked (428 reputation)I'm hooked (428 reputation)I'm hooked (428 reputation)I'm hooked (428 reputation)I'm hooked (428 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 8
Great Britain
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 9 Aug 2020 4:47 PM Visits: 37
Oh I know. I thought I found Anne’s family on the Ireland Census, the year and age matched, but it was a different Parish from where she was married, so I put it aside. And with no real information on her birth (I’m just going off of an old family tree from the 60’s or 70’s), other than the year, it makes it hard to distinguish between each Anne McManus. Thanks for all this info though! It’s helpful!
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 28 Jul 2020 9:16 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (67K reputation)Community Expert (67K reputation)Community Expert (67K reputation)Community Expert (67K reputation)Community Expert (67K reputation)Community Expert (67K reputation)Community Expert (67K reputation)Community Expert (67K reputation)Community Expert (67K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 8:37 AM Visits: 4.9K
It seems like quite the journey of discovery for both of you, Danielle and Mike!

The Irish Genealogy site is the main General Register Office of Ireland pages where after 1864 when civil registration was introduced in Ireland, we started seeing the formal registration of births, marriages, adoptions and deaths. A wonderful resource, even though you may find more Anne McManus's!

We hope that both of you continue with your research, please keep us up to date with your journey, we are all making it with you. :)