How to get Dublin Airport to Green Lane, Carlow.

How to get Dublin Airport to Green Lane, Carlow.

Author
Posted Sun 24 Feb 2019 10:30 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
In about less than a week, I'll be going to Ireland to see family.  I want to know how can I get from the airport to Carlow?  From what I can tell from a family member, it means I have to get a train, but how far is it from the airport to the nearest train station and do I have to take a bus to get there?  I found out some taxi information and found that to get a taxi from the airport to the B&B I'll be staying is anywhere from 168 to 220 euros which is about a little over $200 so, as you can guess, that is not an option.  Some of my family members have told me that they could pick me up at the train station at Carlow to take me to where I will be staying
To be honest, I'm a little scared that I could get myself lost or, worse, that I could be cheated or took advantage of.  This will be my first time coming to Eire in about 40 years for the last time I was there was when I was four years old with my mother who was born there.

Please, any information or any web links that anyone could tell or show me would be much appreciated.

Thank You, Sincerely.........John
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 25 Feb 2019 10:28 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi John,

It's wonderful to hear that you will be over with us soon to visit family in Carlow!

The most suitable way from Dublin Airport would be by bus using Bus Éireann service 4. It runs from the airport towards Waterford with a stop in Carlow, Barrack Street, where you would get off and your family member would be able to collect you. Please have a look at the link to see what times are available for the service and select the time and date to best suit.

To catch a train it would be a little more involved as the station is in Dublin City so you would need to get from the airport to Dublin Hueston station for the train towards Waterford, again getting off in Carlow. There are taxis and bus services from the airport to the city directly outside of the arrivals hall. Irish Rail operates the service, please have a look and see if this is something that you might wish to use.

Public transport is very efficient and friendly to use so I'm sure you will be very well taken care of whichever route you take.

I hope this helps and that you can make it to Carlow to see your family!

If you need any more help, just let me know. 

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 25 Feb 2019 4:01 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Dear Martin:

I appreciate very much your response to my predicament.  I've just went to the Bus Eireann website and found that I can get a round trip bus ticket for the day of my arrival.and the day of my return for a total of 26 euros.  If I was to get a cab and then a train and then vice versa for my return, it would've cost me about close to 75 euros.  Thank you very much for your advice.

I was wondering if you could also help me with one more thing.  I'll be staying at the Avlon House Bed and Breakfast in Carlow.  DO you know if there is a Bank of Ireland close?  The reason I'm asking is because I want to, if possible, exchange some dollars to euros.  I believe that the airports' currency exchange place will costs me some extra if I was to do it there.

Once again, thank you........John
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 25 Feb 2019 11:46 PM
View Quick Profile
Dear Martin: 

I have tried to get order a return trip bus ticket from the website that you gave me the link to.  However, when I entered the dates of my arrival and my return as well as my credit card information, it rejected it.  Is it because that I have to buy it on the day of my arrival or is it because I can't do it on line since I'm not in Ireland.

Please respond ASAP.

Sincerely, John
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 26 Feb 2019 12:06 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello John, 

It's lovely to see that you are planning on visiting your family soon, and I'd love to see what I can do to help. :)

You should be able to purchase tickets from the Bus Éireann website up to three months in advance of your journey, and from all over the world. Do you get an error message when you try to buy your tickets? If so, what does it say? 

if you aren't able to buy tickets online, you will always be able to do so once you're here. :) There is a ticket desk at the bus centre in Dublin (Busáras), and in most cases you can also buy your ticket directly from the bus driver. 

The closest Bank of Ireland office is about a 10 minute walk from your B&B, and located in Unit 29, Merchant House, Shamrock Plaza in the centre of Carlow. They are open on weekdays between 9:30am and 4:00pm. For more information on exchanging currencies, take a look at the Money in Ireland page as well. 

I hope this was helpful, and please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions! 

Warm regards,

Melin
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 26 Feb 2019 12:26 AM
View Quick Profile
Dear Melin:

All it said was that my payment method was rejected.  I don't understand why since it is a credit card and I know I have enough credit on it to purchase the tickets.  

Is there a bus centre kiosk at Dublin Airport to buy the tickets?

Also, thank you for the information about the bank.

Thanks and God bless...John
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 26 Feb 2019 12:30 AM
View Quick Profile
Dear Melin:

It said: Payment Status: Rejected
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 26 Feb 2019 10:00 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Hi John, 

Thanks for getting back so quickly. :)

Have you perhaps tried a different browser? In addition, you can reach out to Bus Éireann directly via the email contact form on their website. 

No worries though, because once you arrive at the airport there are Bus Éireann ticket machines at the bus stops, and helpful employees to help you in case you have any questions. You can also buy your return ticket directly from the bus driver. :)

Let me know if you need anything else. I'm always here to help! 

Warm regards,

Melin
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 26 Feb 2019 4:33 PM
View Quick Profile
Dear Melin:

I did sent out an email from their website to them.  I haven't got a response yet.

Once again, thank you and thank Marvin for your help.
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 26 Feb 2019 4:59 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Island of Ireland
Hi John, 

Thanks for letting me know, and I hope they will get back to you soon. :)

In the meantime you'll know where to find us if you need anything! 

Melin