Author
Posted Wed 6 Mar 2019 10:42 AM
View Quick Profile
Forum Expert
Forum Expert (694 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 11
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 7 Jul 2021 3:06 PM Visits: 75
Hallo,
Wir werden im September mit einem recht großen Wohnmobil am WAW unterwegs sein: Länge 7,30 m, Breite 2,20 m, Höhe 2,81 m. Sind bei dieser Größe ganz speziell die folgenden Straßen möglich: 
Fahrtrichtung Süd-Nord
- Valentia Island / Valentia Ring 
- Skellig Coast Ring
- von Castlecove zum Staigh Fort 
Vielen Dank für Eure Erfahrungen und liebe Grüße,
Martina
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 6 Mar 2019 12:54 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 16
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 20 Jul 2022 7:52 PM Visits: 328
Hello Martina.
I do not own or drive a Motorhome. I know the area you are visiting but looking at the size of the vehicle you are travelling with I think you will have difficulties. You will be limited to certain roads on the Island of Valentia for example from the Ferry arrival point to the Bridge crossing to Portmagee village. The higher circular road is very scenic but not suitable to your motorhome. The Skellig Ring route will not be possible and again a very scenic route. Driving to Staigh Fort from Castlecove may be possible but again this needs another opinion as the road to the Fort may be too narrow. If you get to Staigh Fort and looking for a motorhome site then Dromquinna 20 km further along on the main road is the place for you. 
Hope it goes well for you
Conor

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 6 Mar 2019 1:48 PM
View Quick Profile
Forum Expert
Forum Expert (694 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 11
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 7 Jul 2021 3:06 PM Visits: 75
Hi Conor,
thanks for your quick and really helpful reply. Finally something I can work with for my travel planning :)
Much appreciated,
Martina

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 6 Mar 2019 4:03 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 6 hours ago Visits: 21.9K
Hi Martina,
I received the following information from the Tourist Information office in Killarney - 
"The Ring of Kerry is generally a safe place for Campervans to travel in. When driving the Ring of Kerry, all long and large vehicles must travel in the anti-clockwise direction, starting in Killarney and going to Killorglin, Glenbeigh, Cahersiveen, Waterville, Caherdaniel, Sneem, Kenmare and back to Killarney.
All Wild Atlantic Way Discovery Points have designated Parking Points and Campervans can be accommodated. However there are often narrow roads that lead down to some discovery points, which can be unsuitable for larger vehicles.
My contact is not aware of any specific restrictions, but there are signs that indicate the limit of Vehicle Height and Weight where it is applicable.
There are 12 mainland Discovery Points on the Ring of Kerry. There is a narrow road which is the R566 route that connects Portmagee Village to Ballinskelligs on the extreme western part of the Skelligs Peninsula on the Ring of Kerry. The most spectacular scenery on the peninsula is to be found in this area and buses do not travel along this route."

I hope you find this information useful whilst making your travel plans.

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 7 Mar 2019 9:22 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)Community Expert (8.6K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 21
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 6 Mar 2024 1:16 PM Visits: 9.4K
Hallo Martina,

Es freut mich sehr zu hören, dass du mit den Informationen jetzt deinen Urlaub planen kannst.
Ich wünsche dir viel Spaß dabei und wenn noch irgendwelche Fragen auftreten sollten weißt du ja, wo du uns findest. 😉

Mit lieben Grüßen von deiner baldigen Urlaubsinsel
Zoey
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 7 Mar 2019 10:11 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 6 hours ago Visits: 21.9K
Hi Martina,
I just received another reply from a contact around Valentia Island - please see below - 
"While the roads are narrow around parts of South West Kerry, we generally don't encounter any issues with larger vehicles. Certain places like the Lighthouse in Valentia would not be able to take large vehicles on the access road, but there would be places to leave the mobile home and then walk or taxi to the lighthouse. We have a very well equipped caravan and camping site on Valentia - 
 http://www.valentiaislandcamping.com/(S(edlyzn0bthl02rtz2y05sqnd))/Default.aspx, which may be of interest."

I hope the above helps.