Travel to Ireland with my mom

Travel to Ireland with my mom

Author
Posted Sat 30 Mar 2019 2:41 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Good morning,

I would like some information to travelling with my mother to Ireland. I am wanting to take my mother to Ireland this summer.
She is Arthritic and moves around very slowly. She is using a walker, and can walk on her own if she wanted to but it is a easier with the walker.
I would like to take her to Banbrdige in Northern Ireland. This is where her Ancestors are from. How can I get her there? Will I have to arrive in Dublin via Airplane? How about the accommodations? Would it be better to stay in an Airbnb or Hotels?

Is there any other ideas/ accommodations you can offer to me, to help this wonderful trip as mother and daughter - perfect and easy for me to get her in and out?

Thank you all for the help and advice

Alison
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 31 Mar 2019 3:40 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Alison,

It's so lovely to hear you are thinking of bringing your mother to the Emerald Isle, to see where her Irish roots started. :)

I'm more than happy to see what I can do to point you in the right direction. To start off with flights, where are you planning on flying from? Take a look at the available routes, and you can choose to fly into either Dublin or Belfast.

It takes about 45 minutes by car from Belfast International Airport to Banbridge, and an hour and 15 minutes from Dublin Airport. Have you thought about how you would like to travel around? You can find more useful information about renting a car in this other thread

There are many wonderful accommodations to choose from. Do you have a preference for a certain type? Take a look at all tourist board approved places to stay in Banbridge, and you can change the location to see what the options are in other towns, villages or areas. You can reach out to the accommodation of your choice beforehand to see if the rooms are easily reached, and if there aren't too many flights of stairs to your room. I am sure they would love to accommodate you as much as possible. :)

Is there anything else you'd like to see or do while you're here, besides researching your ancestors from this area? Northern Ireland, as well as the rest of the island are filled with amazing destinations, and I would love to help you plan your itinerary. Are you interested in visiting any specific sites in Banbridge? 

I hope our other members will be able to provide you with more helpful tips and suggestions, and please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions. 

Warm regards,

Melin
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 1 Apr 2019 11:37 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi Alison,

Great to hear you are planning on visiting Ireland with your mum.

Belfast and Dublin are the two main airports you can fly into. Dublin being 1hr 45minutes drive away from Banbridge and Belfast a 45minute drive. If you are planning on hiring a car both airports provide this facility, or maybe you are planning on getting a bus. www.translink.co.uk is a helpful website with timetable information.

www.visitarmagh.com/banbridge is a very good website which will show you what Banbridge has to offer. It shows any events that may be on during your visit and lovely accommodation and restaurants. This site also gives a lot of information about Armagh, as Armagh Banbridge Craigavon is all one council area, Armagh is only a short 20 minute drive away from Banbridge, if you had time for a visit. www.visitarmagh.com take a look at the beautiful sites.  There is also a link on this sight - research and geneology which may be of use to you.

I hope you have lovely time and please don't hesitate to contact us if you need more information.

Thanks
Karen

Tags