I love ghost stories — where can I go to get spooked?

I love ghost stories — where can I go to get spooked?

Author
Posted Thu 4 Apr 2019 11:41 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
With its long history, it’s no wonder that Ireland can be a bit spooky. Wherever you visit, there’s always the possibility of ghostly goings-on. From flickering lights to drops in the temperature, many people will swear that they’ve felt a strange ghostly presence...

If you’re ready to get spooked, head to County Offaly’s notorious Leap Castle. It is said many spirits reside there, but the most famous resides in what is known as ‘The Bloody Chapel’. The ghost is said to be one of the O’Carroll brothers, who died after his brother plunged his sword into his heart. His spirit has haunted the chapel ever since. Many people have reported hearing footsteps within the chapel, but finding the room empty when they enter...

Not all the ghost stories and legends in Ireland are violent, some are far more tragic in origin.In Charles Fort in County Cork, the story goes that the daughter of the commander fell in love with one of the soldiers stationed there. But on the night that they were married, in a case of mistaken identity, her father shot him and the daughter drowned herself in despair. It is said that she wanders the fort to this day, still in her wedding dress always looking for her lost love.

Ballygally Castle in County Antrim also has a tragic history. One of their most famous spirits is Lady Isabella. She gave birth to a daughter rather than a son, which enraged her husband and he locked her in the tower. Desperate to escape, she tried to leave through the window but tragically fell to her death. Now a hotel, guests today regularly report knocking on doors, Lady Isabella appearing in their rooms, and a strange green mist in the courtyard…Would you be able to stay the night at this castle?

A more mischievous ghost resides within the walls of St Columb’s Cathedral in the Walled City of Derry. The cathedral was the final resting place of Bishop William Higgens, but his grave was disturbed during renovations and he has haunted the place ever since. It is said you can hear his footsteps as he wanders through the cathedral, and the organ plays even when no-one is around!

Can our Community members think of any other ghost stories that they’d like to share?

Tags
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 8 Apr 2019 10:58 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Mar 2024 11:42 AM Visits: 2.4K
Dunluce Castle is perched on sheer basalt cliffs on the Causeway Coast.  It is reputedly haunted by the Ghost of Maeve Roe, the only daughter of Lord McQuillan whose family built the castle in 1500.  Maeve was imprisoned in the north-eastern tower by her father for refusing to take Rory Og as her husband.  One stormy night under the cover of darkness, she and her true love, Reginald O'Cahan set off in a rowing boat from the Mermaid's cave located underneath the castle.  The young lovers were dashed against the cliffs and drowned in the choppy seas.  Maeve's ghost still sweeps her prison tower.

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/08-04-2019/9034eafd-4b30-4fbc-a841-12fc.jpg