Maybe we should Visit Ireland?

Maybe we should Visit Ireland?

Author
Posted Thu 6 Jun 2019 9:08 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 17 Apr 2024 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Dale,

So glad to hear that you have confirmed your plans to visit in the Fall or Autumn as we call it!

Irish Rail runs a 3-month rolling timetable so for later in the year, check back to their website as the time approaches. The services will be available, so do not worry at this stage.

It is also possible to travel by coach from Dublin to Belfast! Transport for Ireland has a handy journey planner which may be helpful, please have a look and see if there is a suitable alternative service to best suit your needs.

Rental cars are a handy way to see some areas but there is a Belfast City Sightseeing bus that takes in many of the main attractions including the Giant's Causeway. The Black taxi tours are also an excellent way to see and hear all about the city and its past. Please have a look at our touring ideas search page for some extra help with things to see and do in the city and surrounding area.

Google maps does indeed work here on the island of Ireland, so if you are familiar with it, then it will be an excellent help finding your way around. We have a postal brochures page which has a Belfast Guide which you can order along with 2 other brochures for delivery to your home. The local tourist offices will have additional material when you are here too.

Regarding taking the ferry to Wales, please check with the rental car company for their terms and conditions regarding the use of ferries and travelling into the UK. This also would apply if going into Belfast in the car for the insurance cover.

I hope this helps, please check out the resources above and hopefully you will get some extra advice from our members and industry partners too.

Speak soon,

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 6 Jun 2019 1:43 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Thank You so much Martin, You have been so helpful as we wade through the valuable information we have found here. You are a valuable asset to Ireland, but more so to us that wish to visit you. I will indeed investigate all the information you have provided us. Thanks again
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 7 Jun 2019 8:12 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 17 Apr 2024 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Dale,

Many thanks for all of your kind words, it is a pleasure to help you and our many visitors we wish to come and see us!

We all love this island of ours and hope we help to make it somewhere memorable to visit.

Once you have a final plan, please feel free to share it and we would also love to see some photos of your time with us.

Happy travels! :)

Martin
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 17 Jun 2019 7:48 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Do not rent a car in Ireland. Search google for scams at the Dublin airport car rentals. They are crooked as hell and continue to charge you long after your gone back to your country. The government does nothing about it even though it is a large issue in their press and abroad.
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 17 Jun 2019 9:19 PM
View Quick Profile
Well I certainly did not expect to hear of the reported scams found within the Rental Car Agencies of the Dublin Airport. Certainly that bit of news is concerning!  Daniel, thanks so much for making me aware of the reported claims. I have not been through all of the articles, found by searching google for Ireland rental car scams, there are so many, its going to take some time.

I would like to send this back to the community for comment. I do not want to get into this situation and I would like to hear from you, the folks that should know, If I should reconsider.
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 17 Jun 2019 9:58 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hi there,

Daniel have you experienced issue with car rental at the Dublin airport?
I saw you posted this reply in different places, I will keep this one here as the other threads are from previous years so no longer active. 

Dale, as you can see on many threads here many visitors had no problems while renting a car. As for everything, we will always recommend you to read carefully the contract, what you are covered for and also do the initial check around the car prior to leave.
It is for sure not something you want to happen but being prepared is the key.

On a personal note, many of my friends and family did hire a car at the airport from different companies and this with language barriers and they had no issue. My sister for example got a flat during her trip due to country road but as she had the full cover she had no question asked nor fee when returning the car.

Elodie
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 18 Jun 2019 2:17 AM
View Quick Profile
Thank You Elodie,

I appreciate your response. Since the subject of "rental Scam" was introduced into the concept or renting a vehicle I have been doing considerable research on Google and Independent sites regarding this same subject and I have found a considerable amount of people crying foul. One article is most concerning, you can find it on irishcentral.com. At this point, My travel plans are now uncertain.
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 18 Jun 2019 6:51 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hi Dale,

I understand that this type of reports are worrying but remember that those reports only highlight bad experiences. Be aware of the dates of the stories and maybe avoid the rental companies mentioned there too. Based on the number of people traveling to Ireland and renting a car, the one who has issues are only small fractions.

Maybe if you search about renting a car in Ireland without negative words in the search, you will see that there is loads of good experience too. Google only shows you what you ask for so using scam in your search will, for sure show a sad picture of renting a car in Ireland.

If you are still unsure, we can as well have a look with you at traveling using public transports or tours.

Hoping more members will jump in and reassure you too with their experiences.

Elodie
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 18 Jun 2019 3:14 PM
View Quick Profile
You cannot sugar coat con artists.  They have all the advantages and they use them to help themselves to your cash.  The government does nothing.   You will be left feeling so sour towards Ireland that you will wish you had never gone there.
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 18 Jun 2019 4:08 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Island of Ireland
Hi Daniel,

it seems you had a terrible experience with a car rental company, and we are sorry to hear that this left such a bad memory of Ireland.
Have you contacted the Car Rental company directly or the Car Rental Council? I will recommend you to contact them to explain your experience. Here is the link to the Car Rental Council: http://www.carrentalcouncil.ie/