Farrelly from Cavan

Farrelly from Cavan

Author
Posted Mon 15 Jul 2019 6:02 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
My great great grandfather Martin Farrelly came to Victoria (Port Phillip) Australia in about 1848.
His parents were Michael Farrelly and Annie Garrigan. He died in Victoria in 1908 aged 84 and his death certificate says 60years in Victoria.
I have found his baptism on 22nd August Martinez Diocese of Kilmore, Parish of Lurgan,(Virginia) Kilmargin
In the same register, there is a marriage of Mich Farrelly and Annan Garri on 27th August Copponah witnesses Garrigan

I think I might have found the family on the remnants of the 1821 census living in the townland of Togher in Barony of Castlerahan. Micheal listed as a farmer and Annie as a Flax spinner. There are 5 children, the youngest being 2years old This census was taken before Martin was born in about 1824.
On later Tithe registers for Togher in 1828  the Farrelly name is no longer listed but there are a number of Micahel Farrellys in the Tithe registers for other townlands in Castlerahan also in Griffith valuations after 1848. I think the family may have stayed in Castlerahan area but can't verify.

Given the timing of Martins Emigration I would guess he left as a result of the poverty and famine but I can find no record to support this.I have read histories of the first half of the 1800s and would like to be able to see if and how he was influenced by the Poor Law Unions, Education of Catholic Children, Defenders, Cottiers, and Emigration schemes.
I would be very grateful for any assistance in helping me to move forward in finding my family.
Lynne Farrelly

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 15 Jul 2019 1:02 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 7 hours ago Visits: 13.3K
Hi Lynne,

Tracing family history can be a challenge sometimes especially with records before 1864 as they were kept in the form of church and parish records, with all the surviving records having been sorted into county-based genealogical centres. https://goo.gl/8N2tCD

As you mention, the early 1800's was a difficult time on the island of Ireland with the implementation of the Act of Union, the hated Penal Laws and the law of the land being administered from England. A tenant farmer as Micheal was, wouldn't have been a very profitable existence, especially with a large young family.

Most migrations around the 1840s were due to the famine but prior to that the prospect of a different life away from the increasing population of Ireland may still have been a pull to discover the America's.

Please feel free to share any images of the information you have as we love to see the records from back in the day.

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 18 Jul 2019 1:04 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 16
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 26 Jul 2023 11:55 AM Visits: 193
Hi Lynne, you may be interested in our publication 'The Famine in Ulster' which includes a chapter on the famine in County Cavan. You can read more about it and order it here: https://www.booksireland.org.uk/store/books/famine-ulster.

Another book by Geography Publications which may provide context about life in Cavan at that time is 'Cavan: History and Society'. This covers the history and culture of Cavan from prehistoric times to recent history. It is out of print at the moment but you can read the chapter headings here: http://www.geographypublications.com/product/cavan-history-and-society/. You may be able to obtain it secondhand online or from a library.

We offer a range of research services and would be delighted to look into your ancestors for you. You can find out more here: https://www.ancestryireland.com/research-services/.

Best wishes,

Gillian Hunt
Research Officer
Ulster Historical Foundation
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 19 Jun 2023 8:39 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 2
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 19 Jun 2023 9:49 AM Visits: 4
Hi Lynne
My family research has taken me to Michael Farrelly and Anne Garrigan. I would love to be able to chat with you about what I have found so far and see if they are linked. My Great Grandmother was Bessey Farrelly and she was born in Kilnagun Virginia Co Cavan.
Her father was Philip Farrelly and if I am correct, his parents were Michael Farrelly and Anne Garrigan. If I am on the right track, he had a brother called Martin.
I am not sure if you will see this as you posted a few years ago!
Kate (New Zealand)