I’m a real foodie, what’s the street food scene like in Ireland?

I’m a real foodie, what’s the street food scene like in Ireland?

Author
Posted Wed 2 Oct 2019 8:57 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Street food is booming on the island of Ireland. Everywhere you go, you’ll find numerous trucks offering an array of food for you to try. With a focus on sustainability, local producers and the freshest ingredients, it’s no wonder that street food is becoming more than just a snack. If you’re looking for the very best vendors, here’s just a selection of what you can try.

Established in 2016, The Hatch in County Down has already won accolades, including Best Food Destination from Taste of Ulster. They can be found regularly on the Mourne coastal route, and have really built up a reputation as the guys who know how to make a great burger. This is a no-nonsense establishment, using fresh local ingredients and creating simple, yet delicious burgers alongside triple-cooked chips, which come in a variety of seasonings.  

Sustainability is a key principle for Charlie and Becky Cole, the superstar team behind Broughgammon in County Antrim. They use billy kid goat meat and rose veal in their street food – meats that were once considered waste. They won Best Snack Food at the British Street Food Awards for its delicious chorizo-spiced goat tacos. Catch them along the Causeway Coastal Route at their farm café, or at food markets. 

Grálinn is a relatively new street food vendor, but they’re already making waves on the scene. This year they won an award at Taste of Dublin for Best Use of Local and Artisan Produce. They pride themselves on using local suppliers such as McNally’s Farms, and their yummy creations are based on the produce in season. Last winter, they set up shop in Dublin city but when the weather is good, you won’t be able to pin them down as they’ll be travelling up and down the island for various events and festivals. 

Located along the Killary Fjord in Connemara in County Galway, you’ll find only the freshest produce at the Misunderstood Heron. With a focus on environmental sustainability, the menu is constantly evolving to reflect the seasonal and local produce on offer. Tasty bites include fresh Irish seafood, delicious sweet treats, as well as tasty vegetarian fare. This is a great place to stop off when you’ve finished exploring the beautiful fjord. 

Can our Community members recommend any other amazing street food vendors that they’ve tried? 

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/02-10-2019/00d93877-45d9-4c17-a47a-2760.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 19 Oct 2019 3:29 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)Community Expert (8.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 22
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Fri 12 Apr 2024 10:28 AM Visits: 2.8K
These are some lovely suggestions!

If you happen to find yourself in Galway City during the weekend, another great place for some tasty street food on the go is the Galway Market right next to St. Nicholas Church, smack in the city centre. Besides stalls selling locally produced crafts, you'll find a wide array of takeaway food stalls of varied cuisines. Some of my favourites were the Indian food stall, the little truck of the Gourmet Offensive (they have a permanent location in Mary St. as well) and the quaint Hare Krishna tent offering cheap plant-based and vegetarian options.

And if you want to wash this all down with a fresh pint and some traditional toe-tapping tunes, you just have to round the corner for a plethora of pubs! :)🎶

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/19-10-2019/dd3fbee3-8aab-4817-afd1-4ad1.jpghttps://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/19-10-2019/75fc782b-9117-4e7c-b220-ab63.jpghttps://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/19-10-2019/03847abe-0ac7-4a79-9438-2f79.jpg