I’m meeting my relatives for the first time in County Offaly! What else can I do there?

I’m meeting my relatives for the first time in County Offaly! What...

Author
Posted Wed 18 Dec 2019 12:16 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
County Offaly is a fascinating place on the island of Ireland, and it has an atmosphere that’s all its own.

A fifth of Offaly’s land-area is bogland, and these unique and complex ecosystems are an essential attraction for anyone visiting. Your first port of call is the Clara Bog Nature Reserve, where you can experience ten thousand years of history one of the best examples of an intact raised bog in Western Europe. Clara Bog comes complete with a visitor centre that offers guided walks and workshops for children and adults.

Offaly’s beautiful landscapes resonate with Irish myth. The Slieve Bloom Mountains are picturesque and secluded, with quaint villages dotted here and there. Whether it’s a bracing hike, a horse ride, or even a spot of golf, there’s no shortage of activities on the rolling hills of the Slieve Blooms.

Kinnitty Castle Hotel is nestled in the foothills of the Slieve Bloom Mountains. A 13th century castle overlooking 650 acres of parkland, Kinnitty Castle captures a regal atmosphere within its stone walls. Stay in the castle for a night, or just visit for afternoon tea to get a feel of old Ireland.

If you fancy a touch of culture, you can always catch a show at the legendary Birr Theatre. Dating back to 1888, the restored Victorian theatre plays host to a range of theatre productions, as well as jazz, classical, contemporary and folk music. It also hosts several festivals throughout the year.

To get a different flavour of what Offaly has to offer, why not visit the Old Bonded Warehouse on the banks of Tullamore’s Grand Canal, where Tullamore Dew Irish Whiskey has been produced since 1829. In the visitor centre, learn the story of how Daniel E Williams went from stable boy to running the whiskey brand, and see how the drink is produced.

Finally, if you want an altogether different challenge, you can take to the skies with the Irish Parachute Club based in Clonbullogue. Operating out of anairfield, the Irish Parachute Club has over half a century of experience and trains people from their very first jump in state-of-the-art parachuting equipment and aircraft.

Does our Community know of any of great attractions in Offaly?

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/18-12-2019/b98a3fdb-8d43-4731-b056-9039.jpg