Five days outside Dublin with child friendly activities

Five days outside Dublin with child friendly activities

Author
Posted Thu 16 Jan 2020 4:02 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi, we are planning to travel to Dublin in early April with a five year old and a one year old. We are looking for places to visit that are no more than two hours from Dublin and which are child friendly. At this stage we are thinking about basing ourselves about an hour out of Dublin and want to limit our travel time to about two hours return each day. 
We would appreciate any recommendations. 
Thank you,
Carol
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 17 Jan 2020 10:53 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 May 2023 12:42 PM Visits: 1.6K
Hi Carol,

It's so lovely to hear that your entire family will be visiting! I can certainly see why it's so important to make sure that you find spots that are fun for both of your young children.

Luckily, there's a ton of family-friendly activities in Ireland! This article about families with children is a wonderful place to start looking for information, in fact. It offers advice on transportation, activities, and links to wonderful resources. One of my favourites is Fundays, a lovely site that lists family-friendly fun at the location of your choice. I set it to look for spots in Dublin and there are some truly entertaining options to choose from. 

I do hope this helps give you a good place to start, Carol. 

If I may ask, is there anything that you think your family would like to try while in Dublin?

Kindly,
Rochelle
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 17 Jan 2020 1:43 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi Rochelle,

Thank you for the information. I’ll check out the article. Our preference is probably to be in the countryside rather than in Dublin. Of course that doesn’t rule out a visit to Dublin altogether and we will fly in and out of Dublin. Newgrange is top of our list of places to go at this stage. We are thinking if we can identify four or five places to visit or activities to do then we will book accommodation which gives us reasonable travelling time to each of them. We are three generations travelling together. 

Many thanks,

Carol
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 18 Jan 2020 10:53 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 7 Aug 2022 10:39 AM Visits: 689
Hi Carol, 
               Having a base just outside Dublin is a good plan, you would be surprised how much of Ireland you can reach in 2 hours from Dublin. For instance, Belfast is just under 2 hours and Galway is about 2hours 20 so you have plenty of scope.

Most the trip ideas on Ireland.com involve following a route, however, they are still worth a look as they highlight some great spots.
This one shows some spots worth checking out between Dublin and Galway
This one focuses more on the area surrounding Dublin

I could easily send you 10 more of these that are relevant but let's focus on Newgrange for a moment. That drive is only about an hour, there is so much more than just Newgrange in the area though.
Here is a guide to exploring Boyne Valley, including Newgrange

I always like to highlight Knowth and Dowth when talking about Newgrange, the 3 sites are strongly linked to each other and are too often overlooked, I would say, if anything, don't miss Knowth. There is a really nice feeling to that site.

Anyway, I think I have given you enough to think about, for now. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
G.

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 19 Jan 2020 3:28 PM
View Quick Profile
Thanks Gordon,

That is incredibly helpful! Lots to check out.

Carol
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 20 Jan 2020 11:18 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
I'm so happy you've received so much helpful information, Carol! Keep us posted on your plans, and we're always here if you have any questions. :)
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 20 Jan 2020 11:40 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi there!

Great to hear you and your family are coming to Ireland for a special trip. There are lots of good options for child friendly activities in and around the Dublin area! 

My personal recommendation would Airfield farm and estate. It's near Dundrum, which is a suburb of Dublin so it's a short drive and has some public transport options! There's an open farm, lovely gardens with tracks, paths and play areas for children. 

Hope you enjoy and if you want any further assistance don't hesitate to send a message :)

Dee
Specialized Travel Services
www.special-ireland.com 

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 20 Jan 2020 1:02 PM
View Quick Profile
Thank you Dee, that sounds like a great option.

Carol
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 6 Mar 2020 1:43 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Carol, 

It is so exciting that you and your family will be here next month! :) How are your plans coming along? 

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 6 Mar 2020 7:59 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Melin,

Plans are going well, thank you. Transport and accommodation booked and now looking at where we will go and what we will do.

Carol