Bustard Families in Ireland

Bustard Families in Ireland

Author
Posted Sun 11 Jul 2021 8:02 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 2
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 12 Jul 2021 7:42 PM Visits: 23
Hi Lauren,
Thanks for the information. I now think I know which Clarcam Bustard branch you are in but your information doesn't quite line up with what I was able to put together back in 1997 when I created what was then called Bustard Tree 5. This is up privately under Ancestry so it may be better if you see it before we talk further. REMOVED DUE TO COMMUNITY RULES. Please send a message and I can give you access or contact me through Ancestry if you are member.

Bustard Tree 5 mostly follows the Bustard side through Margaret's brother Charles. He is the only other sibling of Margaret that I know about.

David

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 12 Jul 2021 9:15 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hi David,

Sorry, we had to remove your email address from your post.
If Lauren would like to connect, we can for sure try and accommodate this to avoid sharing any private information publicly.

It's so amazing to see you two connecting the dots. 🤩

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 12 Jul 2021 10:21 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Hi Elodie,
Can you pass on my  email address? What is the recommended way to pass on such information on this site?
While I'm talking to you, this is probably a good time to bring up a problem I'm having with my account. When I try to log in (using the email address that you have hidden) it says there is a problem with my password, but I don't seem able to change it? To post messages I've been logging in using my Google account.
Can you help?
Thanks,
David

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 12 Jul 2021 12:44 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)New Member (9 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 3
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 12 Jul 2021 1:12 PM Visits: 9
Hey David did you set up the tree under ancestry ? I have a profile under Lauren Oxford. I would love for help sorting this out. Too bad they pulled the email. Hopefully we can figure this out.

🙌🏼
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 12 Jul 2021 12:54 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi,
I've sent a message via Ancestry, hopefully to you as there are two Lauren Oxfords!
David

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 12 Jul 2021 4:09 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
I was about to send you David's email via private message Lauren.
If you haven't got his message via Ancestry, let me know, and I will send you his email.

David, let me pass on your email address to our team to look into it. They should be able to reset your password so you can log in and then update your log in details once in. 

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 12 Jul 2021 4:28 PM
View Quick Profile
Thanks Elodie, Lauren and I are now in touch. Thanks also for moving on the log-in problem.

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 12 Jul 2021 8:17 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Island of Ireland
No worries, David. I will make sure to keep you posted regarding your logins.

Also, please keep us in the loop on how it goes with Lauren. It's such an exciting story!

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 13 Jul 2021 8:08 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Bustard Connections with New Brunswick, Canada 

Perhaps not directly relevant but it is clear that there was a strong Bustard connection between County Donegal, port of Derry and New Brunswick, Canada during and just before the Irish Famine of 1845-1852:

In 1871 New Brunswick, Canada, with 35% of its population of Irish origin, was one of the most Irish jurisdictions outside of Ireland. In contrast to the United States the greatest numbers of Irish came to Canada in the pre-Famine period. 

Professor Peter Toner’s An Index to Irish Immigrants in the New Brunswick Census of 1851 (published 1991) records 17 Bustards living in New Brunswick in 1851: 

Name               Date of Entry       Age                   N.B. Location         Irish County
Alexander         1841                     16                      Sussex                    Donegal
Ann                   1841                     22                      Sussex                    Donegal
Ann Jane           1847                    14                      Springfield               Donegal
Charles              1847                    47                      Springfield               Donegal
Charles              1841                    21                      Sussex                    Donegal
George              1837                    30                      Dumfries                  Donegal
Hannah             1847                      5                      Springfield                Donegal
Jane                 1833                      30                     Dumfries                  not stated
Margaret           1847                     32                     Springfield                Donegal
Margaret           1841                     70                     Sussex                     Donegal
Margaret           1841                     30                     Sussex                     Donegal
Robert               1830                    23                     Upham                      not stated
Robert               1841                    23                     Sussex                      Donegal
Thomas             1841                    70                     Sussex                      Donegal
William               1849                   24                    St. Andrews               not stated
William               1847                    16                    Springfield                 Donegal
William               1841                    30                    Sussex                      Donegal  

Peter Toner argued ‘on the basis of the evidence of the 1851 census, that the vast majority of those in New Brunswick with Irish blood owe that blood to ancestors who arrived in the province before the Famine, and that the overwhelming majority of the Famine immigrants to this province disappeared very quickly by further migration. Most of the Famine people who stayed in the province did do because they came to join relatives who had arrived earlier’.   

An examination of Irish Passenger Lists 1847-1871: Lists of Passengers Sailing from Londonderry to America on ships of the J & J Cooke Line and the McCorkell Line (Brian Mitchell, 1988) names 11 Bustards sailing from Derry to Saint John, New Brunswick on ships of J & J Cooke, timber and emigration merchants of Derry, during the Famine. They were: 

Eliza, Jane, Thomas and Infant (3 months) Bustard from Castlederg [County Tyrone] on ship Portland in 1847 

Charles, Margaret, William (age 12), Ann Jane (10), Margaret (8) and Hannah (6 months) Bustard from Donegal on ship Envoy in1847 

George Bustard of Fahan [County Donegal] on ship MaryAnn in 1852 

Brian Mitchell
Derry Genealogy
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 14 Jul 2021 7:03 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm hooked
I'm hooked (507 reputation)I'm hooked (507 reputation)I'm hooked (507 reputation)I'm hooked (507 reputation)I'm hooked (507 reputation)I'm hooked (507 reputation)I'm hooked (507 reputation)I'm hooked (507 reputation)I'm hooked (507 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 9
Northern Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 31 Jul 2021 1:56 PM Visits: 37
Thanks first to whoever sorted out my account. I can now log in.
Thanks also to Brian for providing information on Bustard families in Canada. I should have said earlier that I have over 30 separate Bustard trees including a very large one for families in New Brunswick. The difficulty is trying to join them up because of the lack of information before the early 1800s. The current theory is that all Bustards in Ireland began with members of a family from Devon, arriving at the beginning of the Plantation of Ulster. There are still some branches in Ireland to be explored, however, as we can't yet explain al those named in the Griffith Valuation...hence my initial posting!