Did you know?

Did you know?

Author
Posted Wed 1 Dec 2021 2:18 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
On this day, 65 years ago, the Irish Olympic athlete Ronald Michael Delaney won the gold medal in the Melbourne Olympics 1500 meters event.  

Ronnie Delany is perhaps Ireland’s definitive Olympic legend. Winning what is regarded as the most talent-packed 1500m final in Games history at the Melbourne Summer Olympics in 1956, his legend was immediately secured. Sixty-five years on, the moment has lost none of its magic.

Athletics fans still talk about the final of the 1500m with a hushed reverence. “It was probably the greatest field ever assembled,” said Ronnie Delany, the man who won it. “And it’s still a lovely race to watch. It was so exciting. In fact, the guy who was meant to be ringing the bell for the last lap was so excited watching it, he forgot to do it. The field was packed, and the race began on that last lap.”

While Ireland has not had a track and field Olympic gold medalist since Delany, he has hope for the future and wishes all of those competing at future Games the very best of luck.

'Look, that man in the green shirt, where did he come from? It's the Irish miler, Ron Delany. He's flying now...fourth...third...second now...he's actually sprinting, he doesn't seem tired in the least bit.'

Fun fact; After retiring from competitions, Delany worked in the United States for the Irish airline Aer Lingus. 
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 19 Jun 2023 10:44 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (1 reputation)Community Member (1 reputation)Community Member (1 reputation)Community Member (1 reputation)Community Member (1 reputation)Community Member (1 reputation)Community Member (1 reputation)Community Member (1 reputation)Community Member (1 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 3
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 19 Jun 2023 11:42 AM Visits: 4
Did you know that Ireland is often referred to as the "Emerald Isle" due to its lush green landscapes?
This nickname is a result of Ireland's abundant rainfall and temperate climate,
which create ideal conditions for vibrant vegetation to flourish.
The country's rolling hills, meadows, and forests are characterized by their rich shades of green,
earning Ireland its poetic moniker. The term "Emerald Isle" has been used for centuries in literature and song, and it has become synonymous with the natural beauty of Ireland. So, if you ever visit Ireland, be prepared to be greeted by breathtaking vistas of emerald green that have inspired countless artists and poets throughout history.
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 9 Aug 2023 9:40 AM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 12
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 22 Mar 2024 10:34 AM Visits: 269

ABBA is a wonderful band, but i am yet to to find the video you posted. I am interested on the accordion part of the concert.