7 day trip in and out of Shannon as a couple

7 day trip in and out of Shannon as a couple

Author
Posted Tue 10 Jan 2023 2:26 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 14 hours ago Visits: 76.1K
Hi again Scott!

That's actually a solid plan. Taking the ferry from Killimer to Tarbert is a convenient shortcut to get to Dingle. That way you'll have 2 entire days to explore the Southern Peninsulas. 

As for your final drive between Kenmare and Limerick, passing by Cork and Cashel only adds one hour of driving time (and the breaks in Cork City and the Rock of Cashel make it worth it)

For your phone, I'd suggest getting a prepaid sim card for the duration of your trip (as long as your device is unlocked). You can get one in convenience stores or in mobile phone stores in Shannon town or Ennis at the start of your trip. You'll find more practical info on our page on making calls in Ireland as well as this travel checklist.

I hope this helps!

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 10 Jan 2023 2:31 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (182 reputation)Gaining Respect (182 reputation)Gaining Respect (182 reputation)Gaining Respect (182 reputation)Gaining Respect (182 reputation)Gaining Respect (182 reputation)Gaining Respect (182 reputation)Gaining Respect (182 reputation)Gaining Respect (182 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 8
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 14 Jul 2023 4:59 PM Visits: 196
It does thank you for all of your assistance especially the phone piece we were wondering what to do because we wanted to use google maps to get around.
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 10 Jan 2023 9:52 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 14
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 8:21 PM Visits: 4.8K
Hi Scott,

It looks like the last pieces of your itinerary are coming together nicely!

If you need any further tips or inspiration for the places you'll be visiting closer to the time, don't hesitate to let us know here on the forum!

We look forward to following your adventures already (you can also share them on the My Trip section of the Community forum).

Best wishes,

Alex

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 5 Mar 2023 9:40 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (182 reputation)Gaining Respect (182 reputation)Gaining Respect (182 reputation)Gaining Respect (182 reputation)Gaining Respect (182 reputation)Gaining Respect (182 reputation)Gaining Respect (182 reputation)Gaining Respect (182 reputation)Gaining Respect (182 reputation)
Hello,
Thanks for all your help. Our plans change by the week we are staying in Athenry for 2 nights when we arrive in Shannon. We plan on visiting Galway day 1 and and Kylemore Abbey area day 2. Here is my dilemma I want to head out to the Cliffs of Moher the morning or out third day then head down the coast to the ferry to get to Tralee so we can have more time Dingle on our fourth day. My question is day 3 doable Athenry to Cliffs for a few hours then off to Tralee or should we stay in Kilrush and try for an early start to go to Dingle?
Thanks for all your help.
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 9 Mar 2023 4:09 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (359 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 1:03 PM Visits: 661
Hi Scott,

I would say that your plan for Day 3 sounds very doable. That is, starting in Athenry, travelling to the Cliffs of Moher, and then onwards to Tralee.

Driving from Athenry to the Cliffs of Moher should take about 1 hour and 15 minutes. If you travel from the Cliffs of Moher to Tralee and utilize the ferry at Killimer, it should take about 2 hours.

The days will be nice and long come August, so I would say that you'll have plenty of time to make this journey and enjoy the sights along the way.

Regards,
Eoin
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 13 Jul 2023 3:00 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Hello again,
Our trip is approaching quickly and plans are changing we are thinking to drop a few things so we can enjoy our Irish experience better. I have a few questions and the first is weather dependent. We are thinking going to Cliffs when we arrive in Shannon leaving the airport by 8 am and parking south of the official visitors parking and walking the trails north ( I read that there is a parking area somewhere south and we can walk towards Hags Head). Any help on that would be appreciated.

After the Cliffs head to Ahascragh to visit the cemetery of my wife great relatives and see the town. Finally last leg in Athenry check into our BB and just enjoy the town for the rest of the day. Next day we were going to go to Kylemore Abbey but we were thinking of not doing that and just spend a whole day in Galway and enjoy that experience to take all of it in then back to our B B for the night. Next morning head through and stop in Burren on way to Tralee for the night. If the weather is nice the day we arrive we plan on that if not we still have two full days in the area and switch plans so we can hopefully get a good view of the Cliffs.

The last part of our trip is what we really want is eave Tralee experience a full day on Dingle peninsula then arrive in Kenmare for dinner and the first of our two nights. The next day we were planning to do Ring of Kerry but after discussion just experience a small piece of it and spend most of it around Killarney and the National park then head back to Kenmare for the final night.

My big dilemma is we the next morning we really want to go to Cashel and Cahir  ( skipping Blarney ) what route(s) should we take to get there and to top it all off we need to get to Bunratty for our last two nights before we leave. Is that drive possible from Kenmare to Cashel to Bunratty?
Thank you for all of your help. We are going on the premise less is more by skipping some things and spending more time on others.
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 13 Jul 2023 6:12 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 14
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 8:21 PM Visits: 4.8K
Hi Scott,

Thanks for getting back in touch with us! Great to see your plans coming together!

Regarding the Cliffs of Moher: there is indeed a parking area located south of the official visitors' parking, close to Hags Head. From there you can walk northwards until the visitor centre and beyond. Do note that using the visitor parking will give you access to a well-situated car park, access to the visitor centre, as well as various amenities (including toilets). While the weather can rapidly change in the area, August is usually a good month to enjoy the views!

Considering your options for the next leg of your journey, spending a day in Galway can be a lovely experience, allowing you to soak in the vibrant atmosphere of the city. As you’ve hinted, sometimes less is more! 

Your plan to explore the Dingle Peninsula, then partially exploring the Ring of Kerry and using Kenmare as a base is a great idea, allowing you to maximise your time in each location.

As for your dilemma about visiting Cashel and Cahir while traveling from Kenmare to Bunratty, it is possible to include these destinations in your route. We recommend taking the most direct route, which would involve driving east from Kenmare to Cashel (this will be the longest part of the journey, with a drive time of over 2 hours), visiting the famous Rock of Cashel, and then proceeding back south to Cahir (with its not-to-miss castle). From there, you can head north towards Bunratty to conclude your trip (count just over 1 hour drive). While it will be a day of driving, it is certainly feasible. 

We hope this helps with the final planning and let us know if you have anymore questions!

Alex 
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 13 Jul 2023 6:38 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Thank you I figured that last day of driving would be a lot but from what I gather it is worth it to be able to experience Cahir and Rock of Cashel. Can you tell me is the most direct route N72 and 73 or N 72 and N74 or N22 N 28 M8 through Cork? My google maps from the states has the Cork route to longest but the fastest by 20 minutes.
Thank you
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 14 Jul 2023 1:55 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
After reading about the Cliff's of Moher and looking at our schedule I was thinking parking at the Visitor's Center then taking a taxi or ride share to Hags Head and walking the trail back to the visitors center. Are there ride shares or taxis available at the visitors center?
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 14 Jul 2023 2:49 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 14 hours ago Visits: 76.1K
Hi again Scott,

Both N22 and N72 are similar in terms of driving time (from Kenmare to Cashel). The N72 will show you more villages and less of the M8 highway, which is always nicer in my opinion. 

And don't worry, there should be taxis available at the Visitor's Center of the Cliffs of Moher. You can maybe arrange one by following the links on this page. (You can also look up County Clare taxi companies online). I hope you'll be enjoying a scenic walk back to the Visitor's Center along the trail. 

Cheers,
Antoine