Dublin - Share your top recommendations! 📣

Dublin - Share your top recommendations! 📣

Author
Posted Mon 24 Jul 2023 2:26 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 2 minutes ago Visits: 76.1K
Calling all Dublin enthusiasts!
We want you to share your top recommendations in the city and beyond. 📣

We want to hear about it all! Share your best tips for must-visit places or hidden gems in Dublin and its surroundings. It could be anything from historical landmarks and museums to offbeat shops, trad pubs, quiet parks, or even lesser-known coastal villages right outside the city.

Help future visitors uncover the hidden gems that make this city special! 
Tags
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 24 Jul 2023 9:38 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (11 reputation)Community Expert (11 reputation)Community Expert (11 reputation)Community Expert (11 reputation)Community Expert (11 reputation)Community Expert (11 reputation)Community Expert (11 reputation)Community Expert (11 reputation)Community Expert (11 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Sat 20 Apr 2024 8:19 AM Visits: 77
Hey there!

For me, one fascinating aspect of Ireland is its culture; its music, dancing and singing! 

So if you are looking for a place in Dublin to tell your friends "The craic was mighty last night," then head to O'Donoghue's. This establishment is where the famous Irish folk group The Dubliners started in the early 1960s. And up to this day, there is live traditional Irish music, the whole pub is decorated with drawings and photographs of some of Ireland's finest musicians. I also found everyone extremely friendly. If you enjoy live music like I do, then this might be a nice place to start exploring Dublin's trad music pubs.

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 2 Aug 2023 9:00 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 2 minutes ago Visits: 76.1K
Great stuff! 

I personally got to explore Dublin and its surroundings for about a week and two experiences stuck with me. 

- Finding a low-key spot for a full Irish breakfast: the obvious choice would be your hotel, or maybe the busy Temple Bar or O'Connell Street, but I chose to walk a bit further and ended up at a small breakfast spot known as Oh'Rourke's. It had older folks, friendly staff, no fuss and a hearty full Irish breakfast worthy of its name!

- Hiking the Howth Cliff Path: if you don't have much time in Ireland and want to experience the great outdoors and high cliffs right outside Dublin and without renting a car, that's the hike for you. Hop on the Dart train from Dublin Connolly/Tara Street and 30 min later you'll be in the village. The start of the hike is just 10 minutes from the station, and you can stop at the port on the way (and maybe spot a few seals). For the record, I actually missed the Dart train back to Dublin since I stayed for the sunset, but I managed to catch a bus (all for "free" thanks to the Leap Visitor Card I purchased upon arrival)

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 27 Nov 2023 6:30 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 15
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Sat 23 Mar 2024 1:45 PM Visits: 628
Dublin is an amazing city. It has such a vast array of things and activities on offer that it's sometimes hard to decide what to do! There is such a vibrant, friendly feel to the place and you're sure to run into locals who will happily enjoy a pint or two with you and swap stories. That's part of the magic of this intriguing place.

Here are three recommendations for activities that I have always loved to do whenever I take a trip to the city! 

National Botanic Gardens: Nestled in the heart of Dublin, the National Botanic Gardens is a serene oasis for nature lovers and plant enthusiasts with an extensive collection of plants, flowers, and trees. Take a leisurely stroll through the herbaceous borders, explore the aromatic rose gardens, and marvel at the Victorian Palm House and Curvilinear Range. The glasshouses transport you to different climates, showcasing exotic plant species from around the world. 

Grafton Street Shopping: Grafton Street stands as Dublin's premier shopping destination, Lined with an eclectic mix of shops, boutiques, and department stores, Grafton Street caters to a diverse range of tastes and preferences. From international brands to local designers and artisans, the street offers a unique shopping experience. Pause to enjoy the lively street performances by musicians and entertainers, adding a vibrant soundtrack to your shopping spree. Whether you're searching for fashion, jewellery, or souvenirs, Grafton Street is a bustling hub where you can indulge in a delightful blend of retail therapy and cultural immersion!

Temple Bar District: The Temple Bar District is synonymous with Dublin's cultural vibrancy and artistic flair. Its cobblestone streets are adorned with colour, creating a charming backdrop for the numerous galleries, studios, and craft shops that populate the area. Embrace the spirit of creativity as you explore the various art installations and street performances that bring the district to life. Temple Bar is not just about visual arts; it's also a culinary haven and a lively social hub. Sample traditional Irish cuisine in one of the many pubs and restaurants, where live music spills onto the streets, creating an electrifying atmosphere. Whether you're an art enthusiast, a foodie, or someone seeking the pulse of Dublin's social scene, Temple Bar promises an unforgettable experience.

These three distinct facets of Dublin listed here combine to offer a diverse and enriching exploration of Ireland's vibrant capital! 
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 7 Feb 2024 9:41 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)Community Expert (272 reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 14
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 8:55 PM Visits: 4.8K

Loving all of these suggestions!

So as a bit of a bookworm, I've found Dublin to be the perfect place to soak up some literary vibes, find cute bookstores, and walk in the footsteps of authors, poets and playwrights! With my essential Irish reading list at hand, there is no better place to start then in some of the city's famous literature-linked spots like Sweny's Pharmacy. Who would've thought a former pharmacy could be such a cozy corner for Joyce enthusiasts? 

I also couldn't resist The Winding Stair Bookshop by the Liffey – a bookshop and a restaurant which makes it the perfect spot to relax, with a book in one hand and a coffee in the other. For some more suggestions, do check out this overview of Dublin's best bookstores

No talk of books would be complete without mentioning the Book of Kells and the Trinity College's Old Library - which literally (no pun intended) took my breath away the first time I visited. And finally, joining The Dublin Literary Pub Crawl is also an absolute blast! It's one thing to read about Irish literary giants, but another to drink where they drank and penned their masterpieces. It felt like walking through a living, breathing story, filled with laughter, history, and the spirit of Dublin's past. 

Dublin truly wears its literary heart on its sleeve. And with that, happy reading and exploring!