Wild Atlantic Way - Share your top recommendations! 🌊

Wild Atlantic Way - Share your top recommendations! 🌊

Author
Posted Mon 24 Jul 2023 2:41 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 40 minutes ago Visits: 76.1K
Have you ever embarked on a journey along Ireland's longest coastal route? 🌊

We want to know your best recommendations along the Wild Atlantic Way! Whether you've hiked the dramatic cliffs of Kilkee, surfed the waves of Bundoran, or found tranquility in coves like Keem Bay, your firsthand experiences are invaluable.

Join us in creating the ultimate guide to the Wild Atlantic Way by sharing your favorite spots or experiences along the west coast of Ireland!

Tags
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 25 Jul 2023 8:04 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)Community Expert (8.7K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 21
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 4 hours ago Visits: 9.4K
I don't even know where to start! Who doesn't immediately fall in love with all the little coastal towns and villages along the Wild Atlantic Way? 

My most memorable trip was a weekend that I spent with family and close friends in Strandhill, Co. Sligo. We visited during off-season, and this gave us the chance to rent out an entire hostel and enjoy some very special days as a group. One of the activities that we had planned for this weekend was a beginner surfing lesson for anyone who was brave enough to face the Atlantic Ocean in October. And while 14°C water temperature didn't sound exactly tempting, I love to try new adventure sports during my travels and couldn't say no to this opportunity! 

I am so happy that I took the plunge (pun intended!). After some theory, a few dry run throughs on the beach, and a few minutes of paddling around in the shallows, I was surprised to find myself actually standing on a surfboard and riding some (smaller) waves - all within just one beginner class! Ever since that day, I have been eager to come back here and take more surfing lessons in Strandhill. 🏄

On the second day of our trip we took a little hike through The Glen, a must-visit when you're in the area! The scenery was absolutely magical and a perfect place to enjoy the peaceful nature. Unfortunately it had been raining a lot recently, which meant that we found ourselves ankle-deep in the mud at some point. It definitely made for some funny stories in the pub later that evening, and turned this day into a memory that I won't forget for a very long time! 

I am hoping to return to the Wild Atlantic Way at some point in the next few years, and I'm curious to hear your recommendations for more things to do and places to see!

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 27 Jul 2023 11:34 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)Community Expert (205 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 15
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Sat 23 Mar 2024 1:45 PM Visits: 628
The Wild Atlantic Way has my heart...I grew up in a small town close to Moylussa, a mountain that I spent my childhood hiking every other weekend. At 532 metres, Moylussa is an energetic undertaking and the highest point in the Slieve Bernagh mountain range and in County Clare. The most popular route to the top starts from Ballycuggaran Forest Park and spectacular views over Lough Derg provide the perfect distraction as you climb. There's one section that's particularly challenging but it only lasts about 15 minutes and is more than worth it. This is truly one of the most spectacular hikes I've ever done.

A really nice way to finish the hike off is to head into Killaloe and straight to the Forge. This is a small local shop that has retained it's loyal customers over the years even in the face of competition from Aldi which was recently built across from it. The produce on offer is minimal but you can be sure that those living close will make a point of buying their milk and bread from the friendly shop owners who have been welcoming faces in the small town for as long as I can remember. The main reason I'm recommending this shop is not because of their bread and milk though, it's because of their 99's. They are very simply the best 99's you will find on our Emerald Isle (in my opinion). They are delectable and renowned for their creaminess around the twin towns of Killaloe and Ballina. 

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 24 Aug 2023 9:54 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 5
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 28 Aug 2023 8:27 AM Visits: 585
I yet have to discover the south part of the coastal route, but I already got to see Connemara and Galway

Must do's include : 
- Connemara National Park : you can take the bus or drive to Letterfrack and hike the lower or upper Diamond Hill for jaw-dropping views (at least that's what I thought)
- Clifden, Roundstone : stunning beaches (Gurteem Beach, Dog's Bay) and trad pubs like Lowry's are worth a stop in the south portion of Connemara.
- Galway : Salthill, The Latin Quarter (with a trad session at Tig Choili 🎶) 

If you use public transport like I did, a Leap Card or the TFI Go live app are a must: fares are 30% cheaper that way. You can also avail of the City Link busses but there are a bit more expensive and have fewer stops than Bus Eireann (line 419)

See you on the Wild Atlantic Way!
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 3 Apr 2024 8:01 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (194 reputation)Community Expert (194 reputation)Community Expert (194 reputation)Community Expert (194 reputation)Community Expert (194 reputation)Community Expert (194 reputation)Community Expert (194 reputation)Community Expert (194 reputation)Community Expert (194 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 14
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 4:14 PM Visits: 3.7K
When I first had the pleasure of driving over the Loophead peninsula, it was a stormy, rainy day, and the peninsula looked completely deserted.
It was however impossible not to feel the magic oozing from this forgotten little piece of coastline along the Wild Atlantic Way. On the way back from Connemara to Dingle, my hometown, I begged my friend to drive the Loophead Peninsula again, since the weather was better this day, and I wanted to soak up the views in the sunshine.

I ended up hiking all the way around Loophead lighthouse, and yes, I did end up twisting my ankle pretty badly, due to insufficient footwear, but it was worth it!

Rarely mentioned on must-see lists, and often skipped by people going from the stunning Dingle peninsula to the magnificent cliffs of Moher, Loophead Peninsula is understated, it's more local, homey, and the views are equally dramatic. The lighthouse has something almost spooky about it, which makes it so alluring.