I want to celebrate St Patrick’s Day in a different way - Any ideas?

I want to celebrate St Patrick’s Day in a different way - Any ideas?

Author
Posted Thu 22 Feb 2024 8:50 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 4 hours ago Visits: 76.1K
As St. Patrick's Day approaches, let's spice things up and move beyond the parades and parties. Here are some creative and culturally rich ways to celebrate the Patron saint of Ireland!

Attend cultural events
Step away from the big parades and seek out more unique and offbeat celebrations. Some cities organize quirky parades with historical reenactments or themed processions. You can also find céilís, film screenings and a trad trail in Belfast or historic walks in Sligo. Some festivals (like in Kilkenny) last for days, which puts less pressure on making it big on March 17.

Make Irish recipes
Why not celebrate St. Patrick's Day with some traditional Irish recipes? Experiment with dishes like Irish stew, colcannon (mashed potatoes with cabbage), or soda bread. Don't forget to whip up some hearty shepherd's pie or boxty pancakes for a true Irish feast!

Explore the heritage of St. Patrick:
Take some time to revisit the history and heritage of St. Patrick himself. Visit local museums or libraries to learn about the life of this beloved saint. If you plan on visiting Ireland during St Patrick’s day, why not attend the Home of St Patrick festival in Armagh or even walk in the steps of St Patrick through various locations? By the way, was St Patrick really Irish?

Go green & beyond:
While green is the official color of St. Patrick's Day, consider going beyond the typical green attire. How about organizing a green-themed costume party where everyone dresses up as their favorite green characters or objects? Get creative and have fun with it!

Remember, the essence of St. Patrick's Day lies in celebrating Irish culture, history, and the spirit of togetherness. 
Does our Community have additional suggestions for unusual St Patrick’s Day celebrations? What are your plans on the week that leads to March 17? We are all ears!
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 22 Feb 2024 4:02 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 34
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Thu 25 Apr 2024 5:40 PM Visits: 13.9K
Great ideas, Antoine!

More ideas to add to the list is doing outdoor activities:

- Take advantage of the natural beauty of Ireland by planning an outdoor adventure: go hiking in the scenic countryside, explore a coastal trail, or take a cycling tour through charming villages. Here are some destinations to explore.

- Spending the day in nature can be a refreshing and rejuvenating way to celebrate: just south of Dublin, the Wicklow Mountains National Park offers fantastic hiking trails suitable for all levels. You can explore trails like the Wicklow Way or climb to the summit of Lugnaquilla for breathtaking views. 

:cool:

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 26 Feb 2024 1:27 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)Gaining Respect (181 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 7:53 PM Visits: 23
Funny, I don't partake in the parades and parties, but instead, have always attended cultural events related to my culture, cooked Irish food using family recipes, and explored deeper into my heritage. Last year, I purchased a book on Irish heritage in the area I live in NJ and it has been a very interesting read!
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 28 Feb 2024 5:08 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 4 hours ago Visits: 76.1K
That's amazing, Alanna! It's indeed a very special day to explore one's Irish heritage. What sort of dishes would you typically cook on March 17? Any plans for this year? 

Antoine