I absolutely adore festive Christmas markets – where can I find the best ones in Ireland?

I absolutely adore festive Christmas markets – where can I find the...

Author
Posted Tue 8 Nov 2016 12:11 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
There’s no better way to get a flavour of Ireland during the festive season than visiting one of the myriad markets that spring up around the island at this time of year. Starting in November, and carrying on into the Christmas period and beyond to the New Year, you can get a real sample of Ireland’s incredible artisan produce and handmade crafts at these sparkling, mouth-watering affairs.

Start in Galway – the city of Tribes – with Ireland’s largest festive market (Nov 20-Dec 22) in Eyre Square. Featuring wooden chalets brimming with crafts, toys, jewellery, cosmetics, decorations and plenty of stocking, as well as tantalising artisan food. Picture yourself wandering beneath the Spanish Arches sipping on a steaming hot chocolate.

In the shadow of Belfast’s City Hall, the Belfast Christmas Market (Nov 19-Dec 22) pops up every year with delights from local and international traders. Where else would you be able to sample rare delicacies from around the world (impala burger, anyone?), before stepping in to Lavery’s for a mulled wine and a thumping traditional music session? 

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/08-11-2016/6cea7d5c-3bef-4de0-a2eb-19e4.jpg

And if you have more time, mark the beginning of the holiday season with Armagh’s Georgian Day (Nov 26), featuring a roster of Georgian characters coming to life, with hot chestnuts, mince pies, and a traditional shadow light show!

On Cork’s central Grand Parade, the Glow Festival market runs every weekend from November 25th until December 18th. Featuring all of the mainstays you’d expect, the additional funfair attached, with its signature big wheel ride, makes for incredible views over the city.

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/08-11-2016/4048b0dc-616b-4830-9863-eff3.jpg

Cap-off your festive tour with Christmas at the Milk Market in Limerick, which hosts a canopy-covered festival full of local arts and crafts, and a packed roster of incredible Irish musicians, lighting up the streets with song and dance!