I’m visiting Northern Ireland, and I want to do things that are off the beaten track. Can you help?

I’m visiting Northern Ireland, and I want to do things that are off...

Author
Posted Tue 6 Dec 2016 12:14 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Going off the beaten track in Northern Ireland is such a rewarding experience. Attractions such as Titanic Belfast and the Ulster Museum are, of course, fascinating, but in quieter places and moments as well.

If you’re in the city, you’ve probably seen quite a bit already – so try the Hidden Belfast Walking Tour. It introduces walkers to the history of the city, as well as highlighting tonnes of spots you might have missed on your first few visits…

Near Belfast, your first stop should be the delightful Divis and the Black Mountain, a gorgeous National Trust site that is home to dozens of species of flora and fauna – keep an eye out for skylarks, red grouse and rare peregrine falcons. Pack a picnic and head out on a clear day, if you’re lucky you’ll be able to see all the way to Scotland.

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/06-12-2016/20b96874-b158-4026-ab29-7d35.jpg

Armagh is a fantastic county to visit if you’re in search of hidden gems! A great place to check out is Navan Fort, an ancient seat of former kings queens of this land and home to the l Red Branch Knights, who, according to legend, defended the kingdom with their lives. Myth and reality collide here – it’s really something special.

Or head into the Mourne Mountains for some de-stressing solitude. The aptly named Silent Valley is a place of perfect tranquillity – a man-made reservoir ringed by mountains, it’s a beautiful place. It’s near the Brontë Homeland, too: it may be niche, but if you’re a fan of the famous literary sisters, you can visit where their story began.