I’m a new cyclist, and I want to try out some trails in Ireland. Where’s best?

I’m a new cyclist, and I want to try out some trails in Ireland....

Author
Posted Thu 5 Jan 2017 2:23 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Cycling isn’t all about getting from one place to another – it’s about experiencing beautiful scenery and enjoying unique sights! Ireland is a paradise for cyclists, with the likes of the Kingfisher Trail providing unparalleled views of the countryside. But where are the best places for beginners to start out?

Take it easy to begin. Rent a bike from the one of the dublinbikes stands scattered throughout Dublin and cycle through Phoenix Park. It’s a low-key cycle to start out your adventure, with well-paved roads and little traffic. The park itself is home to herds of fallow deer that roam wild, as well as the magnificent Áras an Uachtaráin, official residence of the president of the Republic of Ireland.

A short jaunt outside of Dublin, Glendalough is the next step up. Put aside a day to cycle through the Blessington Lakes and the Wicklow Mountains National Park, where trails of varying difficulty bring you towards the monastic marvel of Glendalough, a tranquil retreat filled with Early Christian heritage.

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/05-01-2017/238bf324-52c5-4345-9bf4-9982.jpg

Next, head west – the Loop Head Heritage Trail takes about four or five hours for the average cyclist and follows the rugged coastline of the Wild Atlantic Way. Along the way is the Bridges of Ross, a sea bridge carved into the land by the sea, as well as Carrigaholt Castle and the stunning Loop Head Lighthouse, all of which provide standout points to stop and explore.

Off the coast of County Antrim, take the boat to Rathlin Island for a truly exceptional tour. Here, seals rest on the harbour as seabirds whirl through the crisp sea air. The route starts out with a bit of a climb, but it levels out into tarmac and gravel roads. The route provides incredible sea views through impeccable nature reserves and takes you past the inverted Rathlin Lighthouse, which illuminates with a red glow at night.