Attitudes to Illegitimacy in Ireland of the 19th century.

Attitudes to Illegitimacy in Ireland of the 19th century.

Author
Posted Wed 2 Aug 2017 12:24 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I have an interest in how being illegitimate affected individuals in Ireland of the 19th century and am looking for any published work covering that area.  I have a fairly good idea on how it was in Britain in that same period.   
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 2 Aug 2017 2:05 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Brian

There is a discussion about this very issue on message board of Ireland Reaching Out at https://www.irelandxo.com/ireland-xo/message-board/illegitimate-children-early-19th-century 
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 2 Aug 2017 2:12 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi Brian,

Happy to see that Brian M was able to direct you to some useful information!  As usual, thanks, Brian M for helping out with our members.

Hopefully, you are able to locate the information you are looking for, Brian.

All the best,

Colin
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 2 Aug 2017 4:40 PM
View Quick Profile
Many thanks for the information but I don't have the faintest idea on how to get to that information on the message board of Ireland Reaching Out.  Could someone point me in the right direction to it.
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 2 Aug 2017 6:14 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Just insert text of 'illegitimate children' in the search box on this message board. The message title you are looking for is 'illegitimate children in the early 19th century'. This discussion also includes a link to an article in History Ireland which you might find of interest together with some 'further reading' suggestions. 
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 2 Aug 2017 7:05 PM
View Quick Profile
Brian Mitchelposted, “There is a discussion about this very issue on message board of IrelandReaching Out at https://www.irelandxo.com/irel”..  
I clicked on the above and I got as far as Ireland reaching out.  Under the message board was, “Ireland Reaching out. Illegitimacy”  I clicked on Search but nothing showed so obviously I’m doing something wrong.  Perhaps I should explain that as I have no idea on how to use this forum I need a step by step form of instruction.  By now my father would have used term, "Your an eejit".

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 3 Aug 2017 9:47 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 4 hours ago Visits: 22K
Hi Brian,
I had a look and this should be the direct link to the discussion - https://www.irelandxo.com/ireland-xo/message-board/illegitimate-children-early-19th-century
I hope this helps. Please get in touch if you have any other questions.