Fletcher Family

Fletcher Family

Author
Posted Thu 22 Feb 2018 12:49 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hi Noel,

Hope you had a lovely holiday season.

Tell us, were you able to find more about your family?
We make sure to keep an eye on any information regarding the Fletcher here. 😊

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 22 Feb 2018 1:26 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Elodie,
thank you for contacting me regarding the Fletcher Family. This site and people like yourself has been a great help. I still have missing pieces of the jigsaw. My G/Grandfather Hugh Croal Fletcher's children were; Kathleen harriett Fletcher (b 23/5/1875, d 1963) She married a Walter Henry Fisher (1870-1908) and they had 3 children, Kathleen Emily Fisher (1903-1931), William Henry Fisher(1904-1905) and Walter Henry Fisher (1906-?)
Kathleen's siblings were Hannah Gordon Fletcher (8/9/1877-?), Jessie Wilhelmina Tait Fletcher (15/1/1882-?, Elizabeth Mary Fletcher (9/2/1884-1885), Eveline Maud Fletcher (30/9/1885-? & Elizabeth Edith Mary Fletcher (1884-1885).
Apart from Kathleen, I have been unable to ascertain if Hannah married, when she died etc. Same for Jessie & Eveline. Missing some exact dates of birth and dates of deaths.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Noel.
PS Yes, I had a good holiday season although a week before Christmas my wife broke her wrist so I have been cooking, ironing etc etc. She is only just getting back to normal.

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 23 Feb 2018 11:51 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hi Noel,

We hope your wife is feeling better.

Maybe you could surprise her by preparing the full dinner for Saint Patrick's day too. 😄
We have some great recipes, a nice way to get closer to your Irish roots.

Regarding the research, maybe our members may have some more suggestion to help you regarding finding the missing dates.

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 24 Feb 2018 7:37 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Thank you. I am hoping to make contact with my ancestor's children of today, although that might be difficult as all of my grandfather's siblings were female meaning that that will probably have married and taken their spouse's surnames.

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 28 Aug 2018 7:08 AM
View Quick Profile
This is a long shot, and a bit of a cheek, however, if you don't ask, then you never know!
I have now discovered that my maternal grandfather's (William Stewart Fletcher) parents are buried at Mount Jerome Cemetery (158 Harold's Cross Road, Dublin).
They are located at Grave No. 47, Section & Subdivision A. 397
It is impossible for me to travel from the UK over to Dublin, so I am asking a big favour. I would dearly like a few photographs of the Headstone where Hugh Croal Fletcher (died 1900) and Harriett Fletcher (died 30 Nov 1921) are buried.

I will wait & live in hope that at least one reader may visit the cemetary.

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 28 Aug 2018 1:47 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 4 hours ago Visits: 21.9K
Good afternoon Noel and it's fantastic to hear that your research has paid of.
I am very confident that our Community will be able to help with your request - give us a couple of days.....
While you are waiting for the pictures, why don't you take a look at the following website - https://www.raogk.org/lookups/region/ireland/
It might be a good idea to get in touch with some of the members there and check if they might be able to help.
I have my fingers crossed!

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 28 Aug 2018 2:21 PM
View Quick Profile
Many thanks Chris. Fingers are crossed.

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 29 Aug 2018 11:43 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 4 hours ago Visits: 21.9K
Hi Noel,
a colleague of mine kindly visited Mt Jerome this morning on her way to work. It's apparently a very interesting place to visit!
Unfortunately, she was unable to find the Fletcher headstone, but found the below...
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/29-08-2018/f692d061-2edc-4be4-a282-7440.jpg
It's the headstone for the Fisher family who are relatives of the Fletcher's (this was mentioned in one of your earlier messages).
My colleague went to the cemetery's office and they checked the record book - The Fisher headstone is grave number 48, right next to the Fletcher's in 47. There is no headstone on number 47, seems that there never was, just kerbing around the grave, but she couldn't see any sign of that now.
The grave was owned by K Fisher (they presume she was the person who was buried in the plot in 1963) and they are not sure if she owned both plots. The plot was bought by K Fisher in 1931. They guess she was the mother Kathleen H Fisher who's daughter (Kathleen E Fisher) died in 1931 when she bought the plot next to her relatives, the Fletcher's.
Another interesting point discoverd - apparently the Fisher plot was a 'double plot' and the records show the names of the two Kathleen's interred there, but doesn't show the name of Walter in the record book. My colleague spoke to someone else who's very interested in genealogy and he's told her he'll have a further look at records in case there's any more info to be found (I will update you, if I receive any further details).
Please also note that the records office in Mount Jerome are happy to receive emails at: info@mountjerome.ie
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/29-08-2018/8e854ed9-212b-433b-bf12-ff0e.jpg
Not sure if you know that a number of famous people are buried in close proximity - just to name a couple Arthur Guinness and the artist Jack Butler Yeats and lots more…!
I hope the above helps for the moment. Fingers crossed you will be able to find out some more details by contacting the cemetery directly and hopefully other members will post some more pictures.

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 29 Aug 2018 12:27 PM
View Quick Profile
Chris,
fantastic info, thank you so much. Please pass on my thanks and appreciation to your colleague. I look forward to any further info.
Cheers
Noel

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 29 Aug 2018 12:37 PM
View Quick Profile
Kathleen H. Fisher had two more children besides kathleen E. Fisher. 1) William Henry Fisher B1904 died 1905, and Walter Henry Fisher born 1906. I wonder if William Henry Fisher was buried elsewhere in the cemetary!
Noel