Passport Validity Requirement to enter Ireland - India Passport Holder

Passport Validity Requirement to enter Ireland - India Passport Holder...

Author
Posted Fri 20 Oct 2017 12:30 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi,

I need to know if there is any minimum passport validity requirement for entering Ireland for Indian passport holders.
From some sources I have heard 6 months and 3 month post the last day of stay in Ireland and at some places it has been mentioned that passport validity only till end of stay would be sufficient.

Is there any official advise or webpage for this? I don't want to end up in a situation that I am denied entry at Dublin airport.
Is there any Ireland Government contact number or email where I can get this verified.

Regards
Sundeep
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 20 Oct 2017 11:18 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hello, Sundeep.

Thanks for taking the time to join us here on the Community.

That's a really great question - and this is something that your local Irish Embassy should be able to assist with.  They would have the most up to date and accurate information to provide you with.  Your chosen airline may also be able to shed some light on this too.  It's very important to make sure of this information, as you've mentioned, you wouldn't want to have any issues at the airport.

Will you be exploring much of the island whilst you are here?  I am keen to learn more about your trip and would be delighted to provide any ideas or suggestions for your trip if required.

Looking forward to hearing more,

Colin

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 21 Nov 2017 12:53 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hi Sundeep,

How are you?

Were you able to contact the embassy and have a confirmation regarding the requirement around passports validity to enter Ireland?
I am sure many of our members may be interested in this information.

Let us know if you need help or suggestion regarding your trip to Ireland. 😃

Elodie
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 21 Nov 2017 1:18 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi,

After lots of followup and re-routing and multiple versions for different Irish consulates across US citites and India, I finally reached out to Department of Justice who gave me email id of their Border Management Unit (BMU@justice.ie).

They mentioned that there is no min. passport validity requirement for entering Ireland.
I think it is best to reach out to local consulates for a preliminary advise, but like my desperate case where I had no time for Passport renewal, you can reach out to BMU for expert advise.

The following is what they had to say on the email:

The question of entry for any individual, visa or non-visa required, is determined by the Immigration Officer at the time of the individual seeking leave to enter the State. All relevant factors are taken into account with the principal ones being: the purpose of the visit or stay, the duration of stay, the ability of the individual to support themselves during their stay, and proof that the person will exit the country on or before the expiry of any permission given. Each application for entry to the State is assessed on its own merits. Furthermore, a permission issued by an immigration officer on a previous visit lapses once an individual leaves the State.Therefore it is advisable to carry any relevant documentation with you for presentation to the Immigration Officer on arrival in Ireland, even if you are returning following a previous visit. It may be noted that the powers granted to an Irish Immigration Officer are not unfettered. The Immigration Act2004 provides for the grounds on which an individual may be granted or refused leave to land at a port of entry.

In relation to your specific query regarding the length of validity of your passport, while aware of other countries requirements to such effect, Ireland does not currently require a specific remaining validity of a travel document. Regarding the visa waiver scheme, you are correct in saying that you may use your British Visa, however, it is best to be aware that  you will still be subject to immigration control upon your arrival in Ireland and hence it is best to be prepared for same, (e.g. hotel bookings, return flights etc).

-----------

Hope this was helpful.

Regards
Sundeep
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 21 Nov 2017 2:46 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Sundeep,

Thanks a lot for sharing all this information and advice with our community!
I am sure this will be useful for many visitors planning a holiday in Ireland.

Glad you were able to find all the information you needed in time.
When is your trip to Ireland?

Elodie