Travel FROM America to Ireland early 1800s?

Travel FROM America to Ireland early 1800s?

Author
Posted Thu 26 Oct 2017 8:19 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I have an ancestor who appears to have come from America TO Ireland (Dublin) in the early 1800s and then been transported to Australia in 1809. Any ideas about shipping records between America and Ireland in THAT direction? Thanks!
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 27 Oct 2017 8:55 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hello, Sue.

Thanks for taking the opportunity to join us here on the Community all the way from the Ireland Family History Facebook page!

This is a very interesting discovery, so let's see what we can do to help you along the way.  I'm not much of an expert in this particular area myself, although, there are some excellent tips and suggestions available here on the Community which I have listed below:

We have some very knowledgeable members amongst us here that are surely able to provide you with some excellent guidance, so let's see what suggestions they have to offer.

If you have any additional information that may help others point you in the right direction, feel free to share that with us too - every little helps.  

Looking forward to hearing more,

Colin

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 27 Oct 2017 10:00 AM
View Quick Profile
Sue
There is a genealogy service in Armagh (Armagh Ancestry)  They might be able to help or at least point you in the right direction.  You can email them directly on researcher@armaghbanbridgecraigavon.gov.uk

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 27 Oct 2017 1:36 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Sue

I'm not aware of any passenger arrival records to Ireland for this period. All I can suggest, and I suspect you have already done this, is to check immigration records on 'big' databases such as Ancestry and FindMyPast.
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 28 Oct 2017 10:43 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi, Sue.

Have you had a chance to follow up on the suggestions by Armagh City Banbridge Craigavon Council and Brian on possible places to begin the research you are looking for? 

Let us know if you have any luck as we haven't had a question about people coming to Ireland from America before.

Best wishes
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 1 Nov 2017 4:38 PM
View Quick Profile
Thanks, I have tried FMP and Ancestry, not a thing. Will contact the Armagh group I think, unless anyone else has suggestions later. It may be that there were no records kept. Thanks
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 2 Nov 2017 8:50 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi, Sue.

It's good to know which avenues you have already tried so far.  Definitely, reach out to Armagh Ancestry and see what they have to suggest.  Fingers crossed!

Be sure to keep us updated on any of your findings, as Martin mentioned before, we haven't had this kind of question before, so it would certainly be of interest to us all.

Best of luck,

Colin
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 3 Nov 2017 8:07 AM
View Quick Profile
Sadly, that was not exactly a helpful experience. Just got their response: "We only conduct county Armagh research.  Go to www.rootsireland.ie as this is the best genealogy site for Irish research.". 
So I am back to square 1.
I'll provide more of the story in case it helps.

My ancestor Elizabeth Wellborn was born in 1786, Randolph County, North Carolina. Her parents were given as Sarah York and John Wellborn, however through DNA matching, we believe her father was actually Jacob Archdeacon Cody. We have no further records of her in America. What we know of her next comes from convict records - she was tried in January 1809 in Dublin (for what we don't know) and transported to Australia for a term of seven years. She gives her names on all official records as Elizabeth Church. She sailed from Dublin on the convict ship Providence I in 1811.The only link to Ireland we have been able to find is that Jacob's grandfather, James Archdeacon Cody, hailed from Thomastown, County Kilkenny. We don't know whether she found out her father was not who she thought it was, or why she went to Dublin.

Any other ideas?

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 3 Nov 2017 4:51 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi, Sue.

Tracing family history is frustrating sometimes, one step forward two steps back.

It is interesting that you have been able to find out that she may not of known the identity of her actual father and that she referred to herself as Elizabeth Church.

Have you managed to trace her mothers family in America to see if they came over from Ireland too?

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 6 Nov 2017 11:02 AM
View Quick Profile
HI Sue,

A very good place to start is at the Omagh Migration Library.   
 NI Mellon Centre for Migration Studies
 Ulster American Folk Park Mellon Road Castletown,
Omagh, Co Tyrone, Northern Ireland, BT78 5QUt:
011 44  (0)28 8225 6315 | e: Christine.Johnston@librariesni.org.uk | w: www.librariesni.org.uk

I would send Christine an email and she can direct you if they have anything there worth pursuing. I'll be up there in April if you need a search on something. 

Also, another Ancestry query is here: https://search.ancestry.ie/search/db.aspx?dbid=1518  for inbound passenger ships but limited to 1878 onward. There is one more place where the UK, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960 for John L Baird .. you can search from your own Ancestry account as the link is there on the first link on the right-hand side of the page.  Also, there is an alien arrival archive for England and some ships may be there as well and a quick search shows records as early as 1800-1810. 

If you need more help, give me an email @ info@timetraveltours.com  

Hope this helps! 

Ginger Aarons, CTC
Genealogy Tours in Ireland