Loving the idea of trad music in a pub – what's going on in January?

Loving the idea of trad music in a pub – what's going on in January?

Author
Posted Fri 17 Nov 2017 3:32 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
We’re all looking to beat the January blues after the festive season? So Ireland is the perfect place for you if you like the dulcet tunes of traditional Irish music! Across the island, small rural pubs to big city hubs are buzzing with traditional Irish music and dance sure to re-energise you as the new year kicks in. 

First up is TradFest 2018. This four-day long festival will get your toes tapping as it hosts an array of mostly free events in Dublin’s Temple Bar district. The cobble streets are transformed into a performer’s playground, as music and spectators spill out from the bars and fill the Dublin air with sound and laughter. Awarded the Best Traditional Festival award, it’s packed with craft markets and face-painters on hand to entertain the whole family. 

Tucked away up in the Dublin Mountains, meanwhile, is Johnnie Fox’s – a hearty pub that prides itself on its live music and dance every night of the week – and is an ideal resting place after an afternoon of hiking or scenic walks. The west is awake with wonderful live music guaranteed all over Galway City. Taaffes pub is a city centre favourite for live traditional sessions and folk music performances. This pub has been operating for over 150 years and is still throbbing with music lovers seven days a week. In Westport, County Mayo, Matt Molloy’s promises an intimate experience with live traditional music every night of the week. Owned by the internationally famous member of The Chieftans, this cosy spot is buzzing with craic (fun) and ceol (music) and is an absolute must visit for music lovers! 

In Ireland’s oldest thatched roof bar located in County Antrim, The Crosskeys Inn offers punters live traditional music four nights a week. It is no wonder why this cosy cottage received a recommendation by the Lonely Planet travel guide, as well as the ‘Country Pub of the Year 2017’ honour from the BBC Countryfile series. 

So why not make it your New Year’s resolution to experience the authentic Irish pub scene and enjoy some brilliant live performances over a drink, or two!

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/17-11-2017/15227362-761a-4c51-bf99-7c10.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 23 Nov 2017 11:26 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Mar 2024 11:42 AM Visits: 2.4K

Why settle for one New Year’s resolution – to experience the authentic Irish pub scene with its live performances of traditional music -when you could settle for two: namely, getting physically recharged in the beautiful outdoors as well!!

The Causeway Coast and Glens area of Ireland offers you the opportunity to walk along freshly-washed sandy beaches to the accompaniment of breaking waves and the cry of sea birds: for example, Portstewart Strand or the White Rocks Beach near Portrush.  Or you may choose to wrap up well and walk along the cliff tops, such as those above the world-famous Giant’s Causeway stones, with views of further headlands and bays along the coast or across the water to Rathlin Island or Scotland beyond.  Or you may prefer the intimate setting of forest paths, rivers and waterfalls, such as at Glenariffe Forest Park or at the Roe Valley Country Park.  Check out the exhilarating beauty of the scenery of the Causeway Coast and Glens area by exploring our website at http://www.visitcausewaycoastandglens.com

Then having spent the best of the daylight hours outside in the fresh air, you will be all the more ready to head indoors for a relaxing and entertaining evening.  Thursdays are traditional music evenings at The Anchor Bar in Portstewart or at Springhill Bar in Portrush.  On Friday evenings head for House of McDonnell in Ballycastle or Johnny Joe’s in Cushendall, while on Saturday evenings join the crowd at The Bushmills Inn in the village ofBushmills.  Keady Clachan near Limavady is the venue for traditional music on the first Sunday of the month.

You will be guaranteed to sleep well after this combinationof fresh air and exercise, music, craic and a wee drink or two.

Come and experience the benefits yourself, and then tell others about them too.

Mary

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 18 Feb 2022 12:02 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 3
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 18 Feb 2022 12:06 PM Visits: 7
Charlie's Bar in Enniskillen has a Live Traditional Session every Sunday evening from 7.30pm. Musicians are also welcome to take part. 
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 18 Feb 2022 2:32 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Mar 2024 11:42 AM Visits: 2.4K
March sees the launch of Ballycastle’s Trad Trail – every Saturday from 4pm-6.30pm.  As a group, you will be guided by two skilled local musicians who will not only play for you, but also share their knowledge of and passion for traditional instruments, tunes, songs and dance.  The evening will start in a pub at the sea front before heading up into the heart of the town for two more venues.  
For more information click on https://discovernorthernireland.com/things-to-do/ballycastle-traditional-music-trail-p775281 
You’ll be very welcome!

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 12 Oct 2023 5:07 AM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 12
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 22 Mar 2024 10:34 AM Visits: 269
A bodhran or any other drum for rhythm would be great.
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 12 Oct 2023 7:13 AM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 11
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 27 Oct 2023 5:03 PM Visits: 58
Sin E (pron. shin-ae) in Cork City centre has live trad.

Ring beforehand  ;-)

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 13 Oct 2023 12:27 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 2:22 PM Visits: 658
Hi Dara,

That's an excellent suggestion!

Regards,
Eoin
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 16 Oct 2023 6:10 AM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)I'm into this (257 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 12
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 22 Mar 2024 10:34 AM Visits: 269
@Dara Burke I think I'll check that one out.