First time in Ireland

First time in Ireland

Author
Posted Tue 19 Dec 2017 6:03 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi there,

I’ve never been to Ireland and half of my family are Irish! I want to get to some of my roots, I’m travelling on my own and I want to experience the landscapes and local people life style, stay in a cute village maybe? Have you seen ‘P.S. I love you’ when they have flash backs of her when she first meets him in Ireland and then she goes with her friends? I want to see Ireland like that because it’s look amazing and I need to break, want to be out in the fresh air. I hope you can help!!!
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 19 Dec 2017 7:20 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hi Amy,

How exciting that you are coming over for the first time!

If you love 'Ps. I love you', Wicklow and Dublin have to be on your itinerary.

The Wicklow will be perfect for a break with its breathtaking views and inspiring landscape.
The area is known to be the perfect location for movies. Sally Gap, for example, was where Holly and Gerry first meet and kissed. 
There is also few little villages around the county as well as historical places where you could stay while in the area.
Our Accommodation search tool can help you find the perfect place for your stay.

Besides the wilderness of the Wicklow, you have Dublin.
The buzzing Capital is great for food, culture and of course, perfect to enjoy the Irish Pub atmosphere.
Who knows, Gerard Butler may come back for another song at the Whelan’s pub while you are there! 😉

Do you know when and for how long you would like to come over for?

I am sure other members will have great suggestions too.
We also have fantastic experts on Family history if you decide to find out more about your family origin.

Elodie

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 20 Dec 2017 10:29 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi Amy 
You are going to love Ireland! May I suggest that you choose to stay in B&B accommodation when visiting? They an ideal place to stay if you are travelling solo and looking to soak up the unique Irish experience.  With welcoming hosts, safe surroundings, friendly local people and a range of amenities on the doorstep of every B&B, there really is no better place to stay.  

B&B hosts will also be able to assist you in tracing your family tree and will have knowledge on local history, local families and information on museums, libraries, heritage sites, churches and church records. I hope this helps Amy.

Click on the links below for some information on travelling solo in Ireland. 

Teryle’s Solo Travelling Experience

Travelling solo 

B&Bs are more than just accommodation

Home away from home in an Irish Bed and Breakfast

Don't forget Amy, unforgettable holidays start in a Bed and Breakfast in Ireland! Make your dream trip a reality with an Irish home-stay experience. Your B&B hosts are waiting to welcome you. www.bandbireland.com

Claire :)
B&B Ireland

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 21 Dec 2017 11:40 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Amy
I think that for a first Dublin and Wicklow are the right places.
Choose a nice B&B in the Wicklow mountains, just 1 day away from Dublin. So you can easily enjoy Dublin and the buzz of the City.
You can contact wicklowscenicwalks.com for a nice guides walk in the area and Eirewalk.com to visit Dublin.
Enjoy your stay.
Happy Xmas
Mireille

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 21 Dec 2017 11:46 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Amy, and welcome to the Community!
I'm delighted to hear that you are planning your first visit to Ireland.  Do you have any information of the areas your ancestors are from as that might be a starting point for you to organise your trip? 
Flights are very easy into Dublin and Shannon Airport, and perhaps a great plan would be to fly into one and out of the other if that is at all possible, so you get to experience more of Ireland during your stay.  I would recommend car hire as the public transport would not be the best in the rural areas; train links are good but you may find yourself having to take taxis from train stations to places you want to stay.
Dublin, Galway and Cork are fantastic cities to visit, but you have an absolute abundance of amazing villages to visit around the country so I wouldn't spend too much time in the city as you sound like you are looking for a relaxing, truly 'Irish' experience.
Please don't miss out on the Eastern half of Ireland as it has lots to offer you - check out Ireland's Ancient East online and you will see the beautiful spots you can visit.  We ourselves are based in the Midlands of Ireland, County Offaly, which is a wonderful hidden gem with lots of historical spots and breathtaking scenery.  Kinnitty Castle Hotel is only 90 minutes drive from both Dublin and Shannon Airports yet is nestled at the foot of the Slieve Bloom Mountains, from which you will see some of the most amazing views in Ireland, be sure to have a look at the area online.
We'd love to welcome you to Kinnitty Castle Hotel if you are visiting this area, give us a call or check out our website for the best prices for your stay.  Email me if you need any advice on the County of Offaly, I'd be delighted to hear from you.
www.kinnittycastlehotel.com / 00353 579137318 
Wishing you all the very best for your itinerary planning.

Kind regards,
Clair Donogher
clair@kinnittycastlehotel.com 
Tags
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 21 Dec 2017 1:01 PM
View Quick Profile
Hello Amy,

Ireland is a lovely spot to travel through, the people are friendly so you'll have no problem making acquaintances on your travels. 

Dublin city centre remains the heartbeat of Dublin it’s full of character and life, we cannot recommend having a stroll to the heart of Dublin City. The River Liffey divides the city you get to tour between both sides of the River by crossing the famous O’Connell bridge. Each side has a lot to offer. Don’t forget to visit the infamous Temple Bar, to really get a feel for the Irish culture.

When n Dublin, you are within driving distance to stunning coastal views of the  Wicklow Mountains and Mourne Mountain where you can enjoy hiking with breath-taking panoramic views.

If you are looking to experience some more scenery we have a list of the wonderfully scenic driving route around Ireland on our website. 

If you are looking to rent a vehicle, we are currently offering a brilliant discount to customers. 

We look forward to hearing how your trip went and if you any suggestions for other tourists coming to Ireland. 

Best Wishes, 

The Team at Car Rental Ireland
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 25 Dec 2017 3:44 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi, yes, it will be at the Cliffs of Moher. I've been looking at photos of the surrounding towns, but couldn't really tell which would have more services to offer.
As I stated previously, id only need hair services, in particular, traditional braiding. Thank You!
Deanna 
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 26 Dec 2017 2:15 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Congratulation Deanna!

What a great occasion to celebrate on the island.

Can you tell us more about where your ceremony will be?
From there, I am sure that everyone here will be happy to help you with all the recommendation we can provide you!

As you mentioned the Cliffs, I thought you might be referring to the famous Cliffs of Moher.
If so, we had another member, Lara, who got married in County Clare. Do not hesitate to have a read at her thread for some great information and tips.

I am looking for to hearing more about your plans, Happy Holidays!

Elodie
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 2 Jan 2018 10:04 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 26
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Tue 1 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 833
Hello Amy
Happy New Year - isnt it a great time to plan a trip!
The best advice I can give you about your itinerary, is to not take on too much, but prioritise what it is you want to see.  Sounds like you will be basing yourself in the Dublin/Wicklow area, so there are tons of options for you there.
But if you want to explore the Cliffs of Moher on the "Wild Atlantic Way" even if you are based in Dublin, there is a trip you should consider - a bus tour/boat trip combination with Darby O'Gill Tours 
This day trip will give you the opportunity to see the mighty cliffs from the visitors centre and from sea on a one hour cruise - including the famous sea cave from Harry Potter's Half Blood Prince.
If you decide to spend longer on the west coast, and stay overnight, you should consider also visiting the Aran Islands.
I hope you enjoy your visit to Ireland Amy, happy planning :)
All the best
Joan

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 12 Jan 2018 12:20 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Amy, I hope you enjoy your trip to Ireland. A few days in Wicklow would be great and as other people have mentioned b and b is great. If you are based in Dublin and want an overnight stay down the country Doolin for example then we at www.irishdaytours.ie are very flexible and will arrange for you to break your day tour for an overnight or two if you wish at no extra cost.