Tracing ancestors back to Cork

Tracing ancestors back to Cork

Author
Posted Tue 23 Jan 2018 3:43 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi, I am hoping that someone might be able to help me.  I have been able to trace my great, great, grandparents back to Cork, I know that Thomas Burke was born in around 1811.  However on a census it has his birthplace as Caciltown, Cork and I can't find such a place so I wondering if it is a bad spelling of Cecilstown.  Thomas died in Whitechapel London in 1867.  His wife, Johanna is listed on a census as being born in around 1814 in a place called Balbywsben in Cork but I can't find any such name on the maps or on Google.  Johanna died in Whitechapel in 1869 and I am really hoping that someone might be able to help me.  Many thanks
Eloise xx

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 23 Jan 2018 4:01 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Eloise,
We offer a genealogy service here at The Cobh Heritage Centre. If you email genealogy@cobhheritage.com
 our resident Genealogist may be able to help you.
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 23 Jan 2018 5:17 PM
View Quick Profile
Thanks very much, I will certainly contact them.
Eloise

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 23 Jan 2018 9:20 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 17 Apr 2024 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Eloise,

Super to hear that you have been able to trace your great great grandparents back to Cork already!

Big thanks to Cobh Heritage Centre for the advice on contacting their genealogy researcher to see if they can shed some light on the townlands and parishes of Cork.

We also have a few previous community posts on Irish Family History that you may wish to take a look at. There are plenty of resource ideas available, especially as your search is before 1864 when all records were kept in the form of church and parish records. The details for the Genealogy Centre in Cork, where parish records information will be held, can be found here.

I'm sure our other Industry partners and fellow members will have some advice also.

We hope this helps get you started,

Martin