Trip to Ireland

Trip to Ireland

Author
Posted Mon 29 Jan 2018 8:34 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi,
I'm looking at travelling to Ireland for around 3 weeks from the end of May until mid June in our motorhome with my wife and dog.
We're hoping to sail to Belfast and then start the causeway route. If possible we'd like to go across the north of Ireland into Sligo and then travel along some of the Wild Atlantic Way.
Does anyone have any tips for the best places to visit and also how feasible this route is or perhaps a bit ambitious?
We love quieter places and enjoy walking and food, especially seafood.
All info and tips very gratefully received along with campsite info and how accessible the roads are for a motorhome just over seven metres in length.
Thanks very much
Roger

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 30 Jan 2018 3:10 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Great to see that you will be travelling to Ireland in May.  Firstly, Irish Ferries have a great offer at the moment for travelling to Ireland with your motorhome.  However, it is into Dublin or Rosslare.  The following are the details:-

• Book from –18th January 2018 to 5th March 2018
• Caravan/Trailers (up to 10m long) 50% off standard caravan add–on fare
• Motorhome (up to 12m long) travels for the same price as a car
• Cruise Ferries Pembroke - Rosslare / Holyhead - Dublin (day sailings only)
• Travel – 19th January – 31st December 2018
• Not valid on Swift Ferry
• Bookings via Irish ferries contact Centres only telephone 08717 300 400 quoting Promotion Code ICCC• Subject to terms and conditions and strictly subject to availability

Go to our website www.campingireland.ie for details on over 90 sites throughout the Ireland of Ireland.  You can also order a copy of our 2018 brochure from the website.  We also have an app which you can download for free and will give you details on all these sites.
I hope this information will be of help.
Regards

Aideen
Camping Ireland

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 30 Jan 2018 3:56 PM
View Quick Profile
Hello Roger.
its great to hear your visiting Ireland in May, while here and maybe wanting to take a break from driving, why not take one of our rail tours where we visit sights/towns /castles all over the country.
All our tours are available for viewing on our website www.railtoursireland.com
kind regards
Peter.

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 30 Jan 2018 4:25 PM
View Quick Profile
Hello Rodger
Glad to see you are planning to visit us. My advice is to stay with us www.shepherdsrestpub.com. Because we are in the centre of Northern Ireland and 1 hour from Belfast, Derry City, North Coast, Giants Causeway, Bushmills, Fermanagh lakelands, Armagh City most place that you would want to visit. If you want to visit Derry or Belfast then I would advise when you leave us in the morning that you park your camper at Maghera Park and Ride and use the bus to get you around then step into it in the evening and return to us. It will save on trying to find a parking space in any of the cities. The bus runs every 30 minutes and quicker during rush hour. If you are a member of the national trust then you are spoilt for choice of where to visit. If not become a member and you will save money on your second visit. They also have a few campsite in Northern Ireland. 
Places to visit nearby are Seamus Heaney Homeplace. Wellbrooke Belting mill, Spring Hill, Patterson spade mill all national trust property.  Davagh Forest park , Drumannor and Gortin Glen forest parks. If you want any more info just ask.
We charge £20 per night for a fully serviced site including free showers in our new toilet block with underfloor heating and  £10 for a safe nights parking only Hope you enjoy your stay. If you would like to go to any local GAA  football, hurling or camogie matches or traditional music seasons then this could be arranged.

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 30 Jan 2018 4:40 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Yesterday @ 3:02 PM Visits: 2.4K

Hi Roger,

I would like to heartily invite you to explore the Causeway Coastal Route, and the end of May until mid-June is a good time to visit as it is generally less busy than in July and August. 

The route takes in coastal villages at the foot of beautiful glens.  It hugs the coast, giving stunning views of cliffs and long sandy beaches, all waiting to be explored.  Central in the route is the Giant’s Causeway, Northern Ireland’s only UNESCO World Heritage Site, with its hexagonal–shaped basalt stones and columns.  Nearby is Ireland’s oldest working distillery where you can experience all the sights and smells in the production of malt whiskey, and even sample some too!   East of the River Bann, atop the wind-swept headland at Downhill sits the Mussenden Temple, with breath-taking views in all directions.  Discover more by browsing our Visitor Guide

http://www.visitcausewaycoastandglens.com/Portals/0/downloads/Causeway-Coast-And-Glens-Visitor-Guide-2017.pdf

The Causeway Coastal Route comprises A and B roads, and so should pose no problem to a 7m long motorhome.  You do not need to do the very steep loop around Torr Head; just stick to the main A2 route between Cushendun and Ballycastle.  It is generally best to avoid C roads and unmarked roads.  There is the Black Arch at Drains Bay, just north of Larne, but that shouldn’t be a problem unless your vehicle is more than 3.8m high.

The Causeway Coast Way is a long walk between Ballycastle and Portstewart, but it is possible to tackle one or parts of its six sections. http://www.walkni.com/walks/186/causeway-coast-way/

You mentioned an interest in food.  May I suggest you check out https://www.causewaycoastfoodietours.com/and https://www.irishfeast.com/

There are regular speciality markets showcasing artisan food productsfrom the area, and if you timed your trip right, you could catch the Salmon and Whiskey festival in Bushmills (16th - 17th June).

Let me finish with some information about campsites.  http://www.visitcausewaycoastandglens.com/Caravans-and-Camping-A135

I hope all your plans come together easily and that you have a very pleasant trip around Ireland.

Kind regards,

Mary.

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 31 Jan 2018 9:47 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hello Roger,

Travelling around the island of Ireland in a Camper or Motorhome is becoming very popular with plenty of places to stop and wonderful sites to see.

Big thanks to our Industry members for their wonderful information!

The Causeway Coastal route is a super drive and the roads are excellent as they are used by bus and coaches alike. You may wish to take advantage of the park and ride as suggested by The Shepherd's Rest as car parks in some locations may have height restrictions.

We also have another community post regarding travelling on the west coast which has some excellent information and links regarding the Wild Atlantic Way. This is also a beautiful drive taking in some of the breathtaking scenery of the Atlantic coastline. 

There are some articles on our website regarding Walking and Hiking and also Food and Drink which may also be of interest to you.

Please let us know how your ideas are coming together,

Speak soon,

Martin
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 31 Jan 2018 10:11 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 26
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Tue 1 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 833
Hello Roger,
I think you and your wife (& dog) would really enjoy camping in Doolin.  Our village is right beside the Cliffs of Moher on the Wild Atlantic Way, and our pubs and restaurants are famous for their delicious seafood, so I think that is ticking a few boxes for you!

There are 2 fabulous campsites here with hard-standing facilities for mortorhomes, Nagles campsite near Doolin pier, 

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/31-01-2018/0475a442-4b2e-4222-8e01-992d.jpg

and O'Connors Riverside camping in the village

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/31-01-2018/7db98bca-367a-495b-9a64-aa86.jpg

And of course, we would be delighted to take you all - including your dog - on a boat trip to the Aran Islands, or below the Cliffs of Moher while you are here - sure you'd have to take the pup as well, isn't it their holiday too ;)

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/31-01-2018/20da123b-c7f7-4411-888d-88e2.jpg

Hope this helps to plan your trip & we get to see you on your travels.

All the best,
Joan
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 6 Jul 2018 10:39 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Roger, 

I'd love to hear more about how you experienced travelling around the Emerald Isle in May and June. :) What was it like to manoeuvre the 7 meter long motor home across the Irish roads? 

Also, very curious about the route you took. Did you get a chance to travel from the Causeway Coast in the east over to the Wild Atlantic Way in the west? 

Looking forward to reading more about your adventures! 

Melin