Info Moyle Way (Antrim Glen)

Info Moyle Way (Antrim Glen)

Author
Posted Tue 13 Feb 2018 6:47 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello, I'm Marco.
I wanted to ask you some information about the Moyle Way, from Ballycastle to Waterfoot. I was willing to walk it this summer, in two days. I have read that there are no B&Bs on the way and, asking the WalkNI website, they have told me that the Antrim Coastal Service Bus n.252 serves the route. But consulting the transport site I saw that actually the Bus n.252 follows the coastal route, while the Moyle Way goes through the hinterland. Nobody here ever walked the Moyle Way? Do you have any suggestions for me? How could I organize the walk in two days? And above all, do you have any other good walks to recommend around Ballycastle/Waterfoot/Glenariff, as an alternative to the Moyle Way?

Thanks a lot,
Marco
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 14 Feb 2018 10:14 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Ciao Marco,

Benvenuto sul forum della nostra Community!

The Moyle Way is a wonderful walk indeed! Do you have an idea of what parts of the itinerary you would like to walk, and where you would like to jump on a bus?

As for other ideas, this page of walks on the Northern coast will definitely inspire you! 

Looking forward to knowing more about your plans and maybe reading some other members' experiences!

Buona giornata,

Laura
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 14 Feb 2018 10:55 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Yesterday @ 3:36 PM Visits: 21.9K
Hi Marco,
a local tour company, which offers walking tours of the Glens of Antrim, has just been in touch and has offered to help. Their e-mail address is: nineglenswalkingtours@gmail.com - send them an e-mail and fingers crossed you will get the information you are looking for.
Let us know how you get on. 

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 14 Feb 2018 11:05 AM
View Quick Profile
Thanks Laura,
I really wanted to travel all the 42 km of the Moyle Way, from Ballycastle to Waterfoot (I'll arrive in Ballycastle on foot, following the Causeway Coastal Way). In the official Moyle Way guide, they divide the route into 5/6 sections. About half way there is the park of Orra Beg. The problem is that I understand that the way is not traveled by bus, so I do not know how to do it.I I would like to take the first part (about 20 km) on the first day, take the bus and return to Ballycastle; the day after resume the bus and go down more or less where I had finished walking the previous day.I hope it is feasible, because I would not do the Moyle Way in one day only, first because 42 km are not very few and also because I would like to enjoy the landscape a bit, without having to hurry to leave again.
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 14 Feb 2018 11:07 AM
View Quick Profile
Thanks Christoph,
I'll try to send an email to the address you have shared.
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 14 Feb 2018 12:16 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 20
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 May 2023 11:55 AM Visits: 1.7K
Ciao Marco,

thank you for your post.

For "first hand" information on the Moyle Way we recommend to get in contact with the Ballycastle Visitor Centre, as they are experts in the walk. They also have a little leaflet called "An illustrated guide to walking the Moyle Way". Please see details on the Moyle Way for contact details.
The WalkNI website have a downloadable PDF brochure A Walkers Guide to the Moyle Way which recommends walker friendly accommodation in Ballycastle (starting point) and in Glenariff (finishing point).
We also recommend to visit this very useful website : Causeway Coast and Glens .

We are looking forward to welcoming you to Northern Ireland.

Your Visit Belfast Travel Adviser
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 14 Feb 2018 12:24 PM
View Quick Profile
Thank you very much.
Now I'll send a email to Ballycastle visitor center.

Marco
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 14 Feb 2018 1:34 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Mar 2024 11:42 AM Visits: 2.4K

Hi Marco,
I am delighted to learn of your plans to walk the Moyle Way.

This is indeed an off-the-beaten-track walk, stretching between Ballycastle and Waterfoot and giving views of five of the Nine Glens of Antrim.

Caoimhin MacGabhann who runs Nine Glens Walking Tours has walked it.  He suggested you might stay at Ballyeamon Barn – hostel accommodation - which is located on the B14 close to the end of section 4.  However, this is not half way along the route; rather about 32km from the start.  So, this means you would have a long and very challenging walk the first day, followed by a much easier, downhill walk the second day.  Caoimhin is happy for you to contact him by email on nineglenswalkingtours@gmail.com  should you want to talk with someone who knows this route.

Another suggestion is that you arrange for a taxi to pick you up, for example, at the Altarichard car park, which is close to the point where section 2 joins the Altarichard Road.  This would be after walking about 20km.  You might consider staying close-by in Armoy – well-known to fans of motor-bike road-racing -  or you could be taken down to the coast to Cushendall or even back to Ballycastle to spend the night.  The closest taxi firm is probably Grab a Cab, Corkey or you might choose a taxi firm from Ballycastle.  However, you would have to know in advance when you were likely to arrive at the carpark, so as to have the taxi meet you there. 

A third option is to walk the Moyle Way in one day!  Apparently this is possible. This would mean starting at daybreak, and making full use of the day-light hours, although sunset at that time of year should be about 10pm. 

Obviously this walk is for a very competent walker, well able to navigate in remote upland moorland and even in bad weather.   However, it is undoubtedly thrilling in its challenge and beauty, and very memorable.

I presume you have seen the guide http://www.walkni.com/d/walks/187/A%20Walker's%20Guide%20to%20the%20Moyle%20Way.pdf

All the best with your planning and walking,

Mary.

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 14 Feb 2018 5:08 PM
View Quick Profile
Thank you so much Mary,
your answer is really useful and interesting.In fact it is not bad a walk of 32km; honestly it does not scare me, last year I did a long stretch of the Camino de Santiago and with a bit of training I had no problems.
The following day I could visit the Glenariff Forest Park and then head to Waterfoot.I will keep you updated once I decide on the program, and if you are happy I will share my travel experience (I am considering staying in Ireland for 23 days).

Thanks again,
Marco