Auto insurance for a three month stay.

Auto insurance for a three month stay.

Author
Posted Wed 14 Feb 2018 2:11 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I want to drive the Wild Atlantic Way, and  spend another two and a half months in Ireland, but I'm concerned about the cost of insurance.  Any advice?  Are any credit cards still allowed to defray the cost of insurance?
Thanks,  Darlene

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 14 Feb 2018 10:06 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi Darlene,

I work in the industry. Feel free to ask me any follow up questions. 

Typically in Ireland, a tourist car rental is less than 35 days. Any longer than that and you are in a long-term rental product. I won't go into the technicalities of why!

Normally long-term rentals are not quoted online and you will need to phone up. The other difference is they will have different insurance options, more suitable to the duration you mentioned. 

Your other option is to rent a car only when you need it. This obviously depends on where you are going to be based, and to a degree the seasonality of the time you are planning to visit. 

I hope this is useful. 

Ronan 
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 14 Feb 2018 10:17 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hello Darlene,

The Wild Atlantic Way is a super place to do a self-drive vacation!

It's also great to hear that you are looking to stay for a few months to really enjoy the experience of the Emerald Isle.

I would suggest that you contact a few different rental companies with regard to insurance and rental for such a long period of time. I have a link to some information on Renting a Vehicle in Ireland that contains loads of useful links including one to some rental cars companies. Each has it's own term and conditions so I would recommend contacting them to see what offers they can do for the duration of your visit.

Credit Cards are the preferred option for paying for the insurance as they are not charged immediately.  Again, each company would be able to explain their charging process.

What have you planned to see and do with your time after visiting the Wild Atlantic Way?

I am sure our fellow members will have some great suggestions on activities and places to visit to fill your time.

Speak soon,

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 25 Jul 2018 9:44 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 34
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 9:23 AM Visits: 13.9K
Hi, Darlene.

We haven't heard from you in a while. Did you have the chance to drive the Wild Atlantic Way? I would love to hear all about your road trip and, if you have any tips and personal suggestions for first-time visitors, feel free to share them with us.

Looking forward to reading more about your adventure!

Have a great day, 

Francesco
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 1 May 2019 11:26 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Darlene,
I like to suggest you contact Britton Insurance for any insurance related concern. I got the best solution form them for my Car Insurance. They explain all the things very well and solve all the queries