Help needed with 14 day roundtrip

Help needed with 14 day roundtrip

Author
Posted Wed 21 Feb 2018 1:32 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0

Hi everyone,

We are a couple in our late 40's, early 50's and we are planning a trip to Ireland (in august) as we want to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. I already did a little homework and came up with this itinary.

Does this seem ok and doable? Some people are saying it seems rather busy, but we are pretty sure this will be a one-time trip to Ireland so now I am a bit confused, ... not sure what to "delete" or where to cut it. :/
I am having doubts about staying 2 nights in Ennistymon... would it be better to stay one in Ennistymon and two in Clifden? 
We enjoy easy to moderate walks, museums, ancient history, nice or special pubs and good restaurants. :-)

I am open to all of your suggestions! Looking forward to our trip! Greetz, Eva

• Day 1: Brussels- Dublin- Enniskerry- Glendalough- Macreddin

• Day 2: Macreddin- Avoca- Waterford- Cashel

• Day 3: Cashel- Cobh- Cork- Macroon

• Day 4: Macroom- Glengariff- Kenmare- Killarney

• Day 5: Killarney- Ring of Kerry- Killarney

• Day 6: Killarney- Dingle Peninsula- (ferry to) Spanish point- Ennistymon

• Day 7: Ennistymon- Cliffs of Moher- The Burren- Ennistymon

• Day 8: Ennistymon- The Burren- Flaggy Shore- Galway- Clifden

• Day 9: Clifden - Connemara national park- Lost Valley- Westport

• Day 10: Westport- Sligo – Donegal- Derry (mainly a day of driving)

• Day 11: Derry - Giant’s Causeway – Rope Bridge – Cushendall- Belfast

• Day 12: Belfast -Newgrange- Dublin

• Day 13: Dublin

• Day 14: Dublin- Brussels (at night)

Tags
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 21 Feb 2018 1:59 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
This itinerary is quite good and would recommend staying in Ennistymon. Also a suggested stay would be Lahinch, Doolin or Kinvarra as well. 

When you're passing through Galway, I would happy to give you a walking tour of Galway and the river walk way. 

All the best,

Brendan.

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 21 Feb 2018 2:30 PM
View Quick Profile
Hello Eva...that is some schedule and yes you are hitting an awful lot of our best spots with lots of Irish good food and drink to be had in the evenings all along your route.  You have really researched this very well.  

I'm located in Doolin, Co Clare, under the iconic Cliffs of Moher so was very glad to see you'll be in my area for 2 nights 7 & 8.  There is so much to do and see in the Burren and our Cliffs of Moher GEO Park.  You can surf in Lahinch, walk along the many greenways throughout the Burren and along the cliffs costal path!  You certainly will have time for a half day trip to the Aran Islands - combined with a cliff cruise with me!  

If I can help in any way further, just ask.  All the best for now.  Bill 

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/21-02-2018/9988003e-7fbc-4175-a75a-465e.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 21 Feb 2018 2:40 PM
View Quick Profile
I agree with you. One night is enough in Ennistymon if you want to get as much as possible in. Some suggestions below: 

Day 2: I'd include Kilkenny. It would be a pity to miss it, it's a fabulous medieval city and has amazing restaurants and pubs.
So I suggest: Macreddin- Avoca- Kilkenny - Waterford - I'd overnight in Waterford  
Day 3: Waterford - Cashel- Cobh- Cork - overnight Cork City or Kinsale
Kinsale is a food village and you'll be spoiled for choice here! 

Day 4: Cork city/Kinsale - Glengariff - Kenmare - the Beara Peninsula would be amazing to include here - overnight in Kenmare, Kenmare also great restaurants and bars and it's a cute traditional town 
Day 5: Kenmare to Killarney via the Ring of Kerry- overnight in Killarney 
Day 6: Killarney- Dingle Peninsula - overnight in Dingle/Ventry - loads of fabulous fresh seafood restaurants in Dingle 
Day 7: Dingle to Cliffs of Moher- The Burren- Ennistymon•
Day 8: Ennistymon- The Burren- Flaggy Shore- overnight in Galway City - it's a city with the feeling of a town, loads of bars and restaurants. It's very quirky and welcoming. 
Day 9: Galway - Clifden - Connemara national park- Lost Valley- Westport•
Day 10: Westport- Sligo – Donegal- Derry (mainly a day of driving)•
Day 11: Derry - Giant’s Causeway – Rope Bridge – Cushendall- Belfast•
Day 12: Belfast -Newgrange- Dublin•
Day 13: Dublin•
Day 14: Dublin- Brussels (at night)

I hope this helps!! 

Áine
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 21 Feb 2018 3:28 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Mar 2024 11:42 AM Visits: 2.4K

Hi Eva, 

I am delighted to hear that you are planning a trip to Ireland in August, and congratulations on your 20th wedding anniversary!

I see that on Day 11 you plan to have some time in Derry,before starting the Causeway Coastal Route, aiming to finish by stopping in Belfast.  

It’s a balance, isn’t it, between trying to see sights, but also having time to stop and just enjoy beautiful places.  You probably need a certain amount of flexibility built into your plan, to be able to adapt as the day unfolds.

My reflections are that it would be good to buy your tickets for the Giant’s Causeway online in advance, so that you don’t get held up by any queues once you get there.  The same is true for a ticket to cross Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge, and this year it will be possible to buy such tickets giving a time when you can cross the bridge online,so that you are not disappointed.  Visitor Information Centres can help you with this. August is peak season.

It is also possible to shorten your day’s itinerary, if need be, by travelling to Belfast by the inland route, for example from Ballycastle,or from Cushendall.   The inland route is faster than the twisty – but very beautiful - coastal route.   On the other hand, with daylight lasting until about 9pm, you might find enough energy to complete the entire Causeway Coastal Route. 

All the best with your planning and trip,

Mary.

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 21 Feb 2018 7:34 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Eva,

Great itinerary, the perfect way to celebrate your wedding anniversary! Maccredin has a fantastic restaurant called the Strawberry Tree, we highly recommend it. In Belfast, make sure to go to the Muddlers Club or Ox for dinner.

If you are looking for something food related to do in Dublin you could join one of our walking food tours to learn about Irish food!

Best of luck with the planning.

Ketty / Delicious Dublin Tours @ https://deliciousdublintours.com/
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 21 Feb 2018 7:58 PM
View Quick Profile
Thx Ketty, both restaurants were already on my list 😀
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 22 Feb 2018 10:18 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 9:20 AM Visits: 5.9K
Hi Eva, 

What an amazing trip you have planned for visiting Ireland and I can see you have had some great suggestions already.

It’s great to hear that you are planning to visit Derry~Londonderry in your busy schedule and as someone who enjoys walks, museums and ancient history then Derry~Londonderry is definitely a place you will love.

Long an undiscovered gem, the city stands today in the midst of a compelling transformation. It is a city emerging from a long and colourful history to showcase its brilliance to the world.  Here in our City you can expect many a smile of greeting from people who are noted worldwide for their friendly hospitality.Meander through the bustling streets of the only completely Walled City in Ireland and the British Isles and listen to the echoes of 1450 years of history.

Stroll along its 17th century walls which are over 400 years old, and marvel at the ever-changing skyline of a city which is constant only in the warmth of its welcome. 

Take a walk across our Peace Bridge which curves across the River Foyle leading to Ebrington Square and the beautiful St Columb’s Park.

We also have a great selection of restaurants and pubs which you can view in our online visitor guide here.

Then from the city it is a 1 hour drive along the beautiful Causeway Coastal Route to reach the Giant’s Causeway.

I hope this information helps and I wish you the best of luck in planning your adventure.

If I can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best wishes, 

Shannon.
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 22 Feb 2018 10:29 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Yesterday @ 2:02 PM Visits: 76K
Dag Eva,
It's great to hear you'll be visiting in August. Congratulations on your 20th anniversary as well!

All the tips above are great suggestions. It looks like you have spent some time planning your itinerary, which seems definitely doable in 14 days.

I invite you to take a look at our trip ideas page for additional tips on the locations you mentioned. You can filter this page by city experiences, nature or culture for instance. Since you'll be travelling clockwise on the island, another great ressource for you is our coastal routes page. In order to keep track of the things you don't want to miss, you can save pages and links in a scrapbook by clicking on the heart icon on the left. I went ahead and created one for you. Have you already figured out how to get around the island? Since you are coming from Brussels, here's some information on renting a car in Ireland that you could use.

I'm sure more Community members will have great suggestions. 

Een hele prettige dag gewenst,
Antoine

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 22 Feb 2018 12:25 PM
View Quick Profile
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (1.1K reputation)Forum Guru (1.1K reputation)Forum Guru (1.1K reputation)Forum Guru (1.1K reputation)Forum Guru (1.1K reputation)Forum Guru (1.1K reputation)Forum Guru (1.1K reputation)Forum Guru (1.1K reputation)Forum Guru (1.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 10
Waterville, Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 16 Jun 2022 7:06 AM Visits: 36
I hate to be the naysayer in the group, but I think you've got WAY too much planned.... I've lived here almost 5 years, and the number one complaint I hear from tourists is how much time they spend in their cars.  Just an example, you have Cashel, Cobh, Cork & Macroon on one day...? That's just not doable..... Cobh is a day.... Cork is days..... I also see you're staying in Killarney and basing that for the Ring of Kerry, etc... Looking at that, I'd suggest staying in Kenmare (you're going through there, you say) and then the next day do the Ring of Kerry & Skellig Ring/Skellig Coast, ending up in Glenbeigh/Killorglin for the night.... then the next day driving on to Dingle, saving you time since you're not going as far as Killarney....  Killarney is a hub, but the smaller villages have way more character! 

I hope this helps....

Susan