Wheatley Family

Wheatley Family

Author
Posted Mon 5 Mar 2018 4:15 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Trying to find out about The Wheatley Family from County Wicklow 1718 ish. Can anyone help.  I am a decendent of Thomas Wheatley of County Wicklow
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 5 Mar 2018 10:26 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi! I do genealogy tours and can help with a general inquiry here, but you would need to contact me directly to go further if you need help in doing so. 

The Wicklow genealogical center, like many others, is now digitized within most of the online repositories, except for perhaps their own collection, which I think is no longer open to the public. You may access all the records online. 

You can find my article on how to research in Ireland at Ireland XO https://www.irelandxo.com/ireland-xo/news/planning-tips-research-trips here for coming over to Ireland to do family research. 

How far back are you with your family history?  Do you know what year they immigrated? 

Thank you,
Ginger

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 5 Mar 2018 11:17 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 17 Apr 2024 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Wendy!

Thanks to Time Travel Tours for their suggestions and offer of help, tracing family history can be tricky especially that far back.

The Helpful Research Tips has some important information on acquiring a paper trail of Births, Deaths and Marriages, particularly when going back before 1864 when records were kept in the form of church and parish records and are sorted into county-based Genealogy centres.

Please let us know how your research progresses,

Martin
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 5 Mar 2018 11:56 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Wendy,
I wanted to add that some of the local libraries would hold more records at times that far back in the form of maps of the townlands and who lived on them.  They should be readily available if you are going to be visiting Ireland during normal business hours and by appointment if you want to get maps etc. 

I find that a lot of the records for that time frame are available in the forms of some church records and a lot more in the forms of wills, deeds and family papers you can find at different archives, including PRONI where a lot of records are housed that were not burned or lost in Dublin's 1922 fires.  It is worth a search at www.proni.gov.co.uk  in the family history section to see if any records may be there. I see there are referenced a few but they are a bit later than what you are wanting, but it may be a relative to your Wheatley/ The one I found was a dissenting minister? Do you know if your Thomas was related to John Wheatley?  There also seems to be quite a bit of research done in USA family histories on the New England branch of the Wheatley's.   Have you seen this research and does it connect with yours?

On a side note:  Wicklow borders  Dublin, so when researching, include Dublin in your searches. 

Please do keep us posted! It's always exciting to see prefamine research! It can be very rewarding. 

Ginger
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 5 Mar 2018 1:10 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Ginger,
I am not sure if Thomas was related to a John.  He had 6 Children, one being a William Wheatley born in 1750 County Wicklow who married a Frances (surname unknown) It wasn't till late 1800's that the Wheatley's left Ireland for Australia.  The information I have been given has got back to 1718.  Try as I might can't seem to find anything older. I did look at PRONI, but couldn't find anything of note.

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 5 Mar 2018 3:02 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi, 

Since the family had dissenting ministers (Presbyterian's) at that early time in history, you may look at the Presbyterian library in Belfast or look at Quaker and Unitarian resources as well. They may hold a clue. The family may have gone to both the US and Australia, and there seems to be quite a few that are still living in Wicklow, even today. 

I took a quick look at past Wheatley Ancestry threads and found these: https://www.ancestry.ca/boards/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=1275&p=localities.britisles.ireland.wic.general     It may hold some clues for you. Without digging in too far, I do hope this helps you in your journey.  Let me know if you need further help or in-depth research help. You can contact me privately at info@timetraveltours.com 

Here's another link to early records : http://www.theirisharchives.com/categories/view/40/1600s  

There will be more archives and threads in the coming months when Rootsweb.com is back online which is another valuable resource. 

One last note, there was a British John Wheatley that was an artist in the time period you are looking in and he did many paintings of Ireland. I would follow that thread as well to see if there is a connection between him and the Wheatley's in Wicklow as they may have been part of the Cromwellian settlement there or perhaps just English and settled in Ireland.  Here's the thread on this angle. 
https://archive.org/stream/genealogyofwheat00whea/genealogyofwheat00whea_djvu.txt

Hope this helps! Happy Hunting! 
Ginger

Profile Picture
N
Posted Sun 27 Nov 2022 3:22 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 2
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 27 Nov 2022 3:19 PM Visits: 1
Any connection with Nenagh, Tipperary. of Frances who owned a grocery store?
There were stepchildren? Then moved to Dublin with second family?  when ioldest of second family was 10? I could be off the mark but I seem to remember

Thankyou