Where to go?

Where to go?

Author
Posted Tue 6 Mar 2018 8:09 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi all, thinking of doing a long weekend to Ireland in September. We would fly in to Dublin but think we want to stay outside the city. We have not been before but the perfect scenario is to find a cottage to stay in a village/town outside of Dublin. Somewhere with beautiful scenery for walks. Some great pubs where we can experience the unique Irish atmosphere, ideally with some great Irish music/dancing. Local food would be great and local. We would also like to be able to get a train in to Dublin for a day trip, so ideally an hour, or less on a train line. Any recommendations, advice very much appreciated. If there were any events/festivals food/drink/music that would be a huge bonus.

Thanks!!
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 6 Mar 2018 9:34 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 May 2023 12:42 PM Visits: 1.6K
Hi Gareth, welcome to the Community!

What a great trip you have ahead of you and you definitely won't be stuck for great places to stay outside Dublin! We have no shortage of amazing scenery and great local pubs, if I do say so myself! 

I think this page on Dublin's coastal towns and villages is a great place to start, and might help spark some inspiration for you. It gives you all of the main options in close range to Dublin and they are all really easily accessible by using the DART. Their website is super easy to use and great for checking schedules and timetables.

You should also check out this page on the 10 best day trips from Dublin! I'm confident you will find somewhere great to stay on your trip.

There is a search tool for both accommodation and events on our website. You can search by location, type of event or accommodation and even view them on a map. Is there any particular type of music that you would love to hear while on your trip? 

I'm sure no matter where you choose, you will have an amazing trip! Keep us posted, we'd love to hear what you get up to! 
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 6 Mar 2018 9:45 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi Emma thanks for the reply and I will check out your suggested links. On the music front, a traditional Irish music night. "When in Rome", or do I mean Dublin 😀