I’ve heard a day at the races is great fun, what’s the story?

I’ve heard a day at the races is great fun, what’s the story?

Author
Posted Wed 7 Mar 2018 4:52 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
The one thing about a day (or two) at the races in Ireland is that it’s not all about the final gallop to the finish line…It's about everything that happens around you. But before we list off all the great race days you can enjoy, there’s one place that will put everything into context for you: the Irish National Stud at the heart of Ireland’s Ancient East in County Kildare.   

It dates back to the early 1900s and its founder, Colonel Walker, was definitely a little eccentric. However, it’s a fact that many famous racehorses began their journey here, including Cheltenham star Hurricane Fly and Royal Ascot legend Rite of Passage. Enjoy a guided tour, or grab a leaflet and wander around at your own leisure, not forgetting to check out the idyllic Japanese garden, too! Springtime is a particularly great time to come as up to 250 foals are born between February and June… perhaps you can see a future champion on the paddock! 

Onto the races, and there are definitely some courses you should plan during your visit, just check out the calendars for Down Royal, Punchestown, Leopardstown and The Curragh. The biggie along the Wild Atlantic Way, though, is the Galway Racing Festival (end of July). Throw on your glad rags and head for Ballybrit for an atmosphere that’s always electric... 

Do any other community members have any other recommendations to share?

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/07-03-2018/27795eb3-f8aa-45c0-b1b7-0807.jpg