Inis Mor Patrun Festival

Inis Mor Patrun Festival

Author
Posted Wed 14 Mar 2018 1:52 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I am planning a trip around Ireland in late June/early July. I love islands and I'd like to visit Aran during the Patrun Festival. I keep reading that it is held the last weekend in June, but the last weekend this year (2018) is June 30-July 1. Is there someone who can verify if the festival is planned for that weekend, or is it the weekend before? Thanks in advance.
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 14 Mar 2018 9:40 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Lorna, 

What a great idea to visit the Patrún festival on Inis Mór! I did some searching, and last years festival was on the 30th of June, and of the 1st and 2nd of July. It is possible that it will be held on the same dates, but get in touch with the Aran Tourist Office just to be sure. :)

Are you planning on visiting any other islands this summer? You can find more ideas here

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 15 Mar 2018 10:37 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hello Lorna.
A friend of ours runs an annual guided pilgrimage for the festival of Patrun to the Aran Island of Inis Oirr.  This year it will be held on I think on Thursday 14th June and it is a local saints 'feast' day on the island and truly a wonderful spiritual event to witness.  I have made enquiries on the island and will confirm the date for you once I hear back.  If you would like to go without a guide ...which is so easy to do as the whole island will be participating in the Partun...you will find it very easy to join in...you can book to travel with me here.

You can of course stay overnight or over the weekend and return with us on any of our multiple sailings through out the day from Inis Oirr to Doolin Pier. 

I'll be back to confirm its the 14th June once I hear from the islanders.    
Bill
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 15 Mar 2018 12:09 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 1 hour ago Visits: 22K
Hello Lorna,
the local tourist office on the Aran Islands has just been in touch and has confirmed that the Patrun festival on Inishmoreis will be taking place this year from the 29th June to the 1st July.
The actual daily programme will not be available until closer to the date.

I hope this helps.

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 15 Mar 2018 12:34 PM
View Quick Profile
Thanks to you, Christoph, and also to the others who replied to my question! What a helpful group. I am very much looking forward to visiting your beautiful country this summer.
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 15 Mar 2018 4:55 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi again Lorna, it seems ll three of the Aran Islands hold a Patrun to celebrate that islands dedicated saint.  So its on Inis Oirr and Inis Mor in June.  And in August on Inis Meain.  

Bill 
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 23 Mar 2018 12:20 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi again, I've just heard from Inis Oirr...yes their Phartun is on the 14th June.  
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 23 Mar 2018 1:48 PM
View Quick Profile
Thank you. I wish I could go to that one too but unfortunately we won't be in the country yet.