FROM DUBLIN PORT

FROM DUBLIN PORT

Author
Posted Tue 20 Mar 2018 4:32 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
My friend and myself have booked to take my motorhome from Dublin Port driving through Ireland heading to Rosslare for return journey.  We have booked two weeks.  

In the past I have crossed over to Rosslare and headed to Limerick, but no further in my motorhome.  I was, therefore, wondering if any fellow motorhomer would have a suitable route to suggest to me.

I will appreciate any help available.

Kind regards.

Mary
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 21 Mar 2018 9:54 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi Mary, Great to see that you will be visiting Ireland this year travelling with your motorhome.  Ireland has over 150 quality approved and graded caravan & camping parks throughout Ireland.  All welcome caravan, tents and motorhomes.  We produce the Ireland 2018 Caravan, Camping & Motorhome Guide which features over 90 sites throughout the Island.  The guide includes details of the site, location, prices, facilities, etc.  We also have our website www.campingireland.ie which has details on these sites and other useful information.  On our website we also have a number of blogs with touring routes specifically for the caravan & motorhome visitor to Ireland.  I have attached links to the various blogs which I think you will find of interest.  You can also order a copy of our guide through our website and this will be posted to you.

Links to blogs on our website -

Touring Northern Ireland

Touring the Wild Atlantic Way

Ireland's Ancient East touring route

Travel through the Spine of Ireland
I hope you have a fabulous holiday in Ireland and please do not hesitate to contact us if you need further information or advice. 

Regards

Aideen Flynn
Camping Ireland

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 21 Mar 2018 12:47 PM
View Quick Profile
Hello Mary
come north to us and stay at www.shepherdsrestpub.com. We are set in the middle of Northern Ireland. We are 1 hour drive form most places in Northern Ireland. You can even park your camper van in Maghera/ Glenshane Park and ride and get the bus to Derry city or Belfast every 20 minutes. So you have no worries about parking. Then you have one day in Belfast maybe need 2 and 1 in Derry city. 1 Day for the north coast and 1 day to the rest, a day to visit local attraction near us, such as the Seamus Heaney Homeplace. You could also join the national trust and visit 17 places in northern Ireland for a years membership of £84.00. Do you have any special interests that I could research for you in case their was a local event on that you would like to attend. 
Check out these sites
www.sperrinstourism.com
www.sperrinsgateway.com
Colin

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 21 Mar 2018 3:36 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 9:20 AM Visits: 5.9K
Hi Mary

Camping Ireland have posted some extremely useful pieces of information here which I'm sure you will find helpful. Discover Northern Ireland have also produced a publication for caravan and camping which can be viewed online here.

If you decide to travel towards the North West, I would recommend a visit to the Historic Walled City of Derry-Londonderry. The Walled City of Derry-Londonderry is an excellent cultural location with a series of visitor attractions steeped in history. These include the likes of the 17th Century City Walls, Guildhall, World Famous Murals, St Columb’s Cathedral as well as many fascinating museums and exhibitions. The city also provides great options for tours, leisure, shopping and dining as well as excellent accommodation options should you choose to spend the night here. More detailed information on what the city has to offer can be found in our official visitor guide here

We would also invite you to contact us should you have any inquiries or questions at all. We are more than happy to help.

Web: www.visitderry.com
Tel: +44 (0) 28 7126 7284
Email: info@visitderry.com 

Kind Regards

Barry 
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 21 Mar 2018 7:21 PM
View Quick Profile
Hello,

Thank you very much for your very helpful reply.

Kind regards.

Mary
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 21 Mar 2018 8:22 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 2:13 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Mary,

Big thanks to Camping Ireland, The Shepherd's Rest and Visit Derry for their information so far!

I would also like to add this link to another community post on 5 Must-Visit Camping Sites which you may find helpful. There are certainly plenty of wonderful places to stop as you tour around the island of Ireland.

Are there any places that you have thought about visiting during your time with us?

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 22 Mar 2018 9:15 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Mary,
I am delighted you have two weeks to holiday with us and I have no doubt you will enjoy every minute of it. Can I suggest that you include Armagh, Banbridge and Craigavon in your visit as there are so many wonderful and special things to experience? We have too many to mention but below are just a few to start you off on your visit. Spend a day shopping and enjoy eating in our award winning restaurants and attending events throughout the year. All information can be viewed on https://visitarmagh.com/

In Armagh, a visit to The Navan Centre & Fort is a must. The Navan Centre & Fort is located just 2 miles outside the ancient Cathedral City of Armagh and provides interpretation of one of Ireland’s most important archaeological sites, the legendary ‘Emain Macha’, otherwise called Navan Fort. This was the royal seat of the Kings of Ulster and the Province’s ancient capital. Adults and children can enjoy a great day out at this wonderful attraction. https://visitarmagh.com/places-to-explore/navan-centre-fort/

Armagh is known as the Orchard County and towards the north of the county there are lots of apple orchards covered with rows of Bramley apples. In early May the orchards are in full bloom with white and pink blossom that last for only a short while. https://visitarmagh.com/?s=orchards
As you approach Armagh, you’ll notice its most distinctive landmarks right away. From opposite hills, two striking cathedrals face each other across a valley, both honouring St Patrick. Saint Patrick’s Church Of Ireland Cathedral and Saint Patrick’s Roman Catholic Cathedral.
https://visitarmagh.com/places-to-explore/saint-patricks-coi-cathedral-gardens/
https://visitarmagh.com/places-to-explore/saint-patricks-rc-cathedral/

Enjoy a visit to Armagh County Museum. Officially opened on 28th April 1937 it was the first dedicated county museum in Ireland. https://visitarmagh.com/?s=armagh+County+Museum

Spend a while at Armagh Planetarium and Observatory. In the Planetarium’s amazing Digital Theatre you can relax and enjoy a 3-D StarDome show that’s not to be missed. The Observatory is located together with Armagh Planetarium in approximately 14 acres of attractive, landscaped gardens known as the Armagh Astropark.
https://visitarmagh.com/places-to-explore/armagh-planetarium-observatory/

In Banbridge, Ferguson’s Irish Linen is really worth a visit. It was established in 1854, and they are widely recognised as being the finest of Irish Weavers. The combination of fine raw materials, skilled weavers, advanced loom technology and careful finishing have brought Ferguson’s a reputation of which they are proud. They are world renowned for their fabulous product, and have established a growing reputation as an innovative designer and manufacturer of stylish new collections.
https://visitarmagh.com/places-to-explore/fergusons-irish-linen-factory/

The F E McWilliam Gallery and Studio in Banbridge is dedicated to the memory of sculptor Frederick Edward McWilliam, one of Ireland’s most influential and successful artists. Featuring a permanent display of McWilliam’s work, temporary exhibitions of Irish and international art, a craft shop, café and Banbridge Tourist Information Centre. https://visitarmagh.com/?s=F+E+Mcwilliams

In the Craigavon area, why not visit Brownlow House, Lurgan’s grandest secular building erected by Charles Brownlow. A special feature there is the World War II exhibition.https://visitarmagh.com/?s=brownlow+house

Also in the Craigavon area is Ballydougan Pottery. Watch the master craftsmen at work in the Pottery workshops where you too can take a turn on the potter’s wheel and be creative. Meander around the Gift Shop or sit in the courtyard garden and enjoy a freshly made cappuccino from their Restaurant & Coffee Shop.
https://visitarmagh.com/?s=Ballydougan+Pottery

A visit to Kinnego Marina, the largest marina on Lough Neagh. Situated by the Oxford Island National Nature Reserve it also has a fully serviced caravan park and is home to Lough Neagh Sailing Club, one of the oldest sailing clubs in Northern Ireland, established in 1877. http://www.oxfordisland.com/kinnego-marina/

Explore the sublime beauty of Oxford Island – a designated National Nature Reserve situated on the peninsula in the southern shores of Lough Neagh. With four miles of absorbing woodland trails to bird watching hides, unique boglands, rich wildflower strewn meadows and wildlife ponds, become immersed in the panoramic views of this stunning setting. Learn fascinating facts about the protection and enhancement of the natural environment, including local history and heritage. With an educational Discovery Centre featuring a delightful restaurant and artisan craft shop, this tranquil paradise is truly inspirational.
https://visitarmagh.com/places-to-explore/oxford-island-lndc/

When in Armagh, please call into Our Visitor Information Centre and the staff here will be delighted to help you plan your visit.

Armagh Visitor Information Centre
40 English Street, Armagh, County Armagh, BT61 7BA
Email: vic@armaghbanbridgecraigavon.gov.uk
Tel: 0044 (0)28 3752 1800

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 22 Mar 2018 4:24 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Mar 2024 11:42 AM Visits: 2.4K

Hi Mary,

Great to hear that you have two weeks to travel round Ireland!  Would you consider venturing north from Dublin to explore part of Northern Ireland in your motorhome?   Please let me tell you a little bit about what you could experience there.  

The A2 heading north from Belfast is known as the Causeway Coastal Route.  The well signposted road follows the stunning coastline of the North Antrim coast. It is studded with gems such as historic castles, quaint harbours, glens, golden sandy beaches, unique geology and friendly towns and villages.  There are many places to stop and explore as time permits along with lots of photo opportunities.  You will find there are a good number of caravan sites along the route should you chose to stop off for the night.  For more information please go to: www.visitcausewaycoastandglens.com 

You would find plenty of attractions to visit such as Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge near Ballintoy.  It was originally used by the salmon fishermen to reach a small island separated from the coast via a suspended bridge over the ravine.  Now a popular tourist attraction, it has even been used in a Guinness advert. Traveling about 5 miles west you will come to the Giant’s Causeway, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, where there's a great visitor centre with a café, shop and information area. Experienced local guides lead tours to explore the unique stone formations of the Causeway and you can also walk for miles along the cliff path there. Driving west, approximately 5 miles along the A2, you encounter Dunluce Castle, a well preserved ruin built in medieval times, perched on the cliff looming over the Atlantic Ocean.  It is well worth a visit to learn about the battles, storms and stories that took place there over several hundred years of occupancy by some very colourful characters.  Nearby, Bushmills Distillery, the oldest licensed whiskey distillery in the world, runs tours each day to show how the whiskey is produced.

Dotted along the route are quite a few film locations from the popular television series Game of Thrones. 

The Causeway Coastal Route extends to the City of Derry in the west and from there you could link onto the Wild Atlantic Way to continue your western odyssey.

Every good wish for a great holiday!

Anne