Scenic drives Dublin-Galway-Achill-Belfast-Dublin

Scenic drives Dublin-Galway-Achill-Belfast-Dublin

Author
Posted Fri 23 Mar 2018 12:45 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello,
During our up-coming visit to Ireland, we'll be doing some driving, and are not looking to go the quickest way between destinations. We'd prefer scenic drives, maybe with a stop or two at some attraction.
We like hiking (but don't have time for any longer ones), history and of course beautiful nature.

These are our stops:
* Dublin - Galway
* Galway - Achill Island (I've already been to Connemara, and it seems too much of a detour to go via Letterfrack or so)
* Achill - Belfast (maybe via northern Mayo?)
* Belfast - Dublin

What route would you recommend on any of those? How do we avoid hours of boring freeways between the cities? We have a day or less for each distance.
Thank you!

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 23 Mar 2018 4:14 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Elin, 

It's great that you have the time to take the road less travelled. :) When you start your trip in Dublin, instead of taking the M4 out of the city, take the N7 towards Kildare. That way you get to see the National Stud and Japanese Gardens for a nice walk, and you can stop over at Tullamore if you have the time as well. 

When you travel from Galway to Achill Island you could take the road a little more inland, but this would mean you wouldn't pass Westport which is a lovely town. My recommendation is to take the Great Western Greenway as it has loads to see and do along the way. You'll find many opportunities for short walks or hikes as well!

It takes about 7 hours to drive from Achill to Belfast. You can take the road through Sligo, as it has some spectacular views, and then follow the way into Northern Ireland. 

For the drive between Belfast and Dublin I would definitely recommend sticking to the coast as it is more scenic. The two cities aren't too far apart so if you have the time, venture into the Mourne Mountains as well. You'll find signposted walking routes all over the area that aren't too long. 

Hope this helps! 

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 23 Mar 2018 4:57 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hey Elin, 

This sounds like the perfect trip! 

In addition to the awesome suggestions from Melin, I have a couple of ideas for the trip between Achill and Belfast. I've made this journey a few times, and each time I visited somewhere new. You're absolutely spoiled for choice. 

If you're keen to see North Mayo (which is absolutely stunning), be sure to check out the Céide Fields. This is a lesser known attraction where you can explore pre-historic Ireland, preserved by boglands. It's an absolutely stunning spot, not far from the Downpatrick Head sea stack. 

As you continue towards Belfast, you could also stop in County Fermanagh. I have a very special place in my heart for Cladagh Glen beside the Marble Arch Caves. There's a stunning stream that runs through the Glen with an amazing waterfall and so much green moss it's like you're in a faerie realm. :) 

There are other roads and detours you can take between Achill and Belfast that would lead you to places just as beautiful and interesting. The good news is -- you really can't go wrong. 

Excited to hear more about this trip!
Jenny 

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 26 Mar 2018 9:55 AM
View Quick Profile
Wow, thank you both so much! Lovely ideas!
It's hard to know what's doable in a shorter amount of time, and you just want to do and see everything, don't you!? It's my fourth time to Ireland (I even lived there for a while), but there's still sooo much to explore.

It's still more than a month before we're off, so much planning remains. If anyone has more suggestions, I'm happy to receive them!

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 26 Mar 2018 11:58 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Elin,

As my colleague Melin and our fellow member Jenny have suggested, there are plenty of different ways to drive between Achill and Belfast.

County Donegal has some spectacular locations to visit, Slieve League, Glenveagh National Park and Malin Head to name but three!

How long will you be visiting us for?